Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I moved this post here so that we can work on getting a list of these threads together that we'd like to see archived/stickied.

Just post them here and I'll go from there with it! :cool:

Thanks!

S

sunsaver

Dawn419 said:
I moved this post here so that we can work on getting a list of these threads together that we'd like to see archived/stickied.

Just post them here and I'll go from there with it! :cool:

Thanks!
Yeah, recipe threads, canning threads, some have been highly specific and informative. I see newbies asking the same old questions all the time, that have been answered or link-answered before. Some of those who have been here a long time also ask, "where was that formula for making your own...." Or "i wish i could find that recipe for x that i saw on here."
Stickies are good, but i think some form of category rules or information collection tactics might do better. Like "recipes only here, no personal comments or hijacks allowed."
These are just vague ideas, but i am acutely aware of the feelings of information overload. I once had a panic attack when trying to find a specific thread that had gotten deeply buried in non-relevant banter. We all do it, and it's fun conversation. But some are coming here for specific answers to important questions that have already been addressed and found a common consensus. I think we can improve as a group, but i just havent put my finger on it yet.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fantastic post, Sunsaver! :thumbsup

Personally, doc_gonzo and I are the very newbs that you're talking about. We wanted to start framing in the shed around our future cabin and with the heat this summer decided to deal with other options. Heck, reality be told, this shed over our camper was gonna be nothing more than a craft shed/half wood shed when we first moved here and now we;re looking at "said shed" to be turned into home #1. We have the floor plan all drawn out and I know we'll kick ourselves over things we've forgotten but that's why we post here. We either learn before we do or teach some one with our after-math. ;)

My record (doc excluded) runs high on aftermath, but that's okay with me. He's got the real job, pats me on the back for what a great job I'm doing around our place anfd I look at him and say "are you kidding me?". :gig

Dang, I've ran off at the mouth again, unintentionally!

We are trying to get this forum more sub-divided: More Subdivision but we really need more members' input. I'm personally going to change that title to add "and more ideas" since it looks kind of one-sided, I meant it to be more open then that.

Keep the input coming...Please!

S

sunsaver

I guess what i'm thinking is sticky threads for info that are open to new posts but somehow edited by the admin to remove personal comments and non-relevant subjects. Recipes only with a brief comment relevant to the recipe, but no conversations. We can hijack each others journals or pm when we want to converse and that's just fine. But when a newbie asks how to can such and such, we should be able to say, " check out all the recipes and links on the canning sticky". But if someone has a new recipe, they should be able to add it to the sticky or have a door knocker icon to ask the admin to add the new info. This is crazy talk. I know the admin are real people with better things to do, and i am wanting them to be computers who automatically organize information and links to information just so i can be lazy and not repeat myself. Oh well. Even with it's flaws, this is still the best forum on the net.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
What about if we subdivided the kitchen section so it had an area for all things fermenting and for all things canning? Perhaps the roll your own category could more properly be described as anything homemade other than food.

If I were looking for stickies, I would look for: How to make kombucha, sourdough, how to make yogurt, how to make some of the basic cheeses, how to properly ferment and turn grain into flour, how to make said flour into bread, how to soak and ferment beans, water kefir, milk kefir, basic water bath canning, basic pressure canning... that's all I can think of at the moment.

I've just learned that we're a talkative bunch and anytime I see something interesting, I copy and paste to a word doc. Most of my good info has come from page 8 or 27 from a conversation in someone's journal or in a long discussion on someone's specific diet question.

I do think the journals are awesome but a lot of good info gets buried there. I know some people are too busy to read them and it might be good if we created a culture where we started more individual threads about specific things we post in our journals. Sort of like the recipe rule for the journals.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh, the other questions that get asked alot are about organic feeds for the various animals, basics of butchering, and growing our process for meat birds and pigs. Those might make good stickies.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions! We're working on a few things that will make much of this easier. :)