valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Thank you, Nifty, for all the work you do keeping this place organized! I don't have any real ideas- I subscribe to the topics I am most interested in, and I copy recipes and ideas that I like to my computer in Word.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
We could have a few people volunteer to alphabetize the recipes that are posted in the recipes forum, and create a kind of "index" at the top. That way, people can look in the index for a recipe they're looking for, see the links, and not have to ask too many questions or spend hours searching for them (seeing as there are pages and pages of topics in that particular forum). I think that would be an easier answer to it, rather than having someone go in and delete ALL the non recipe comments. Think that would work better?

I would be happy to try and index the recipes, seeing as I tend to have a lot of time on my hands. It may even work for some of the other forums.

What I have noticed is that some of what could be recipe or cooking related topics have been popping up in the Roll Your Own forum. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to enforce "food related things in the food forum only" idea though. (I do know we have multiple threads about yogurt, butter, raw milk, bread making, etc going on, and it's best I think if we just compiled those links in one place so people can browse them.)

Maybe put up a notice for everyone: "Check the index threads for topics before posting etcetc". It'd be easier than hitting search, because search creates, for many things, such a frustrating goose chase through journals and forums.
My bolding.

I really like this idea, Neko-chan! :thumbsup

Since I've got a real computer again, I'll have a lot more time to spend on helping getting some of the projects set in motion. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to do it alphabetically by food type. Like click on an A for all the recipes that include apples, anchovies, asparagus, etc. Make the categories broad and then after you click on the A the next link goes to another alphabetical listing by food type. You then click on "apples" and that brings you to another alphabetical listing for apple recipes like "applesauce to can" or "apple crisp" or "apple and pear tart" That sort of thing.

Maybe we should all submit recipes for a cookbook like BYC just did for purchase in a hard copy format. I don't know what the price would be or what the proceeds could be used for but maybe we could organize something like that. There are so many people with good recipes on here that we could easily put together a cookbook. We could probably include a "tips" section in it too with tips submitted on freezing food, canning food, and drying food too.