chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make sourdough bread every week or two. Good stuff. I have learned the hard way, though, that it's not a good idea for me to warm up the oven for the bread to rise. I kept forgetting to TURN OFF the oven (duh), and several times cooked the unrisen bread. :rolleyes:

I've found that leaving the oven light on while the dough rises keeps things just the right temperature.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
I make sourdough bread every week or two. Good stuff. I have learned the hard way, though, that it's not a good idea for me to warm up the oven for the bread to rise. I kept forgetting to TURN OFF the oven (duh), and several times cooked the unrisen bread. :rolleyes:

I've found that leaving the oven light on while the dough rises keeps things just the right temperature.
I have learned over the years to turn the oven light on whenever I use it, especially for something open ended - like rising bread - as opposed to something with a definite end - like baking a cake. It doesn't always mean that I will remember to turn the oven off (or that I have something in there, and shouldn't turn up the heat :rolleyes:), but the chances are better. I do the same when grilling on the gas grill; it is right outside the kitchen door, and I do not turn the outside light off until I have finished clearing up, and especially have turned off the gas at the canister. That way, even if I serve before finishing up outside, I have a reminder to do it after eating.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, to make my starter, I use a ratio of 3:2 - three parts flour to two parts water. And starting out, I use1/4 c rye flour, 1/2 c whole wheat flour ) to 1/2 cup water. Every day, dump out half and put more of the 3:2 ratio. I do this until my starter has bubbled and doubled for a few days. Then I start to incorporate white flour. I sub the white flour for the rye for two feedings, then one scoop of the WW, and so on until it is eventually all white flour. I keep this up for a few days, until it is bubbling snd doubling well, then start baking with it. My kids favourtie things for me to bake SD are english muffins, waffles, and cinnamon buns.

Here is my English muffin recipe. I got it from the net and made some changes to it until i gotthe best results from it.

Sourdough English Muffins

The Night Before:

1 C starter
2 tablespoons honey
2 C whole milk
4 C unbleached white flour
Mix starter, honey and milk in mixing bowl until smooth. Add 4 C flour, 2 C at a time, and mix in. . Cover with clean towel and leave at room temperature in a draft free place.

The Next Morning:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 C unbleached white flour
2 tsp sea salt
cornmeal for sprinkling.
Stir down mixture.
Sprinkle a teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons sea salt over the surface of the dough and work in. Add the flour in gradually until it is a medium stiff dough ( the amount of flour will vary due to moisture conditions) Once it is all incorporated, knead for 5 minutes
Get 3 baking sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Flour board and lightly roll dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Take a 3 inch round cutter and cut as many rounds as you can-rolling the left over dough out and cutting more until the dough is all used up. Try to keep them very uniform in thickness and diameter.
As you cut each round, place on cornmealed cookie sheet-don't allow raw muffins to touch--they will stick. When all rounds are cut, sprinkle corn meal over tops of muffins.
Allow to rise in warm place, covered, for about an hour or until risen again.

Bake at 375 degrees F for6- 8 minutes or until bottom is browned. Turn and bake 6 minutes longer or until second side is slightly browned.

Also, if you do do them in the fry pan--do not butter it or your smoke alarm WILL go off, and I won't be using cornmeal again--it just burns.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, I got my starter mixed up. Why do I have to dump half of it out tomorrow? Is it because of the volume or would it end up being dead or too sour?

With the Amish bread starter, I just added 1/4 to 1/3 cup of both flour and milk (instead of one cup of each) every few days. Then I had enough for the recipe and some left over for the starter of the next 10 day cycle.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, you don't have to dump out half, but then you would need to double the amount your feeding, and soon yoiu will run out fo space. so, the directions I gave you, the mixture would equal 3/4 c flour, 1/2 water. You would dump out half and then add that original amount back in to feed it. If you did not dump half out, then you would need to feed it with 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 cup of water. then then the next day doulbe it gain. So, while it might seem wasteful, it is easier this way, and once you have a good starter going you would be dumping it, you would be useing it in recipes as your sponge.