Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahaaaa. Got it, thanks!
The only other time I tried true sourdough was years ago. I don't remember feeding it like this. It ended up being really strong smelling! No one would eat the bread as they were sure I was trying to poison them. :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I really want to try this! I am not good at bread baking, but I am good at microbiology. I do worry about having to eat the whole thing myself, since SO may also be one of those who are afraid of being poisoned. :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
I really want to try this! I am not good at bread baking, but I am good at microbiology. I do worry about having to eat the whole thing myself, since SO may also be one of those who are afraid of being poisoned. :lol:
Just assure her that everything potentially bad will have been killed off during the baking :lol:. Scaredy cats have a (for them) valid excuse about yogurt and lacto fermentation, with all those live bacteria; but sourdough? Nah, its all dead :p

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok. My husband is in charge of the bread-baking; but this is what I do with sourdough starter when we have extra....

Sourdough Pancakes or Waffles:

2 eggs, separated
2 Tbsp melted butter or oil
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups Sourdough starter

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Mix the egg yolks, butter, sugar, salt and baking soda together. Add the starter (the soda will cause it to puff up, so make sure you have a big enough bowl).
Fold the egg whites into the batter carefully. I usually leave a few puffs of egg white floating in the batter.

Cook on a griddle if you want 'cakes, or in a waffle iron. These are especially wonderful topped with applesauce or some other fruit sauce (the juxtaposition of tangy pancake and sweet fruit!)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Hmm. I like that recipe! It says to make the barm to heat the beer to 160. Wouldn't that kill any live yeast in the beer? So why do you have to find beer with live yeast? You add sourdough starter to the beer to innoculate it. Maybe any beer would do. I'm picturing a nice stout....

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan, I would love to try your sourdough starter and bread. Does anyone know what, if any, changes I'd have to make if I'm in high altitude - 6,000 ft.?

SallyBR1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to everybody... just found your forum through a link to my blog, nice to "meet" you all!

I'd like to answer the question about the living yeast in beer - indeed, the process of making beer would kill the yeast, but those are special kinds of beer called 'bottle conditioned" - basically there is a second addition of yeast once the first fermentation is over, and the yeast stays alive in the bottle for a period of time.

those are the beers to use when making barm bread like the one I blogged about. Chimay was the beer I used, but there are others

hope this helps...

and thank you for the link to my blog! ;)