old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THAT is the gazillion $ question here too every night and sometimes I get stuck in a rut. Sometimes to help my dilemma I'll sit down & make a list of all the different things I know how to cook or that we enjoy, then kinda 'spin the wheel' to choose OR I'll watch the Food Network or scrounge thru my cookbooks for ideas.

Breakfast for supper is always good & there are alot of choices. French toast, pancakes, waffles, omelettes, biscuits & gravy, beef or cornbeef hash, etc. One I've fixed for when we've been camping is sausage &/or bacon, potatoes, onion, green/red pepper, & scrambled eggs all cooked together in one pan topped with cheese & served with biscuits or toast. You can also put this in a tortilla with some salsa for a breakfast burrito.

Now I'm hungry again :p

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Perfect timing! We had breakfast for dinner tonight. I had some ham steaks I wanted to use up so I didn't have to freeze them. And I always have eggs. So I fried ham steaks, did over-easy eggs, and made pancakes. Yum.

I needed a lunch for tomorrow that travels well, so decided on Bacon and Tomato sandwiches. The bacon just came out of the oven.

Sunday is lentils and ham, with the parts of the ham steaks that I cut off before frying.

(Can you tell pork products have been on sale here? :lol:)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love sites like Yummly which allow you to put in ingredients you have and get recipe suggestions back. Another one I like is Food on the Table which allows for weekly meal planning but also sends random suggestions to your email so you can get inspired.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When the kids still lived with us, I'd make a 'menu' with make fast items (grilled cheese and tomato soup, pancakes, etc) and slow cooked meals. I did our major grocery shopping twice a month, so I'd try to have 15 main dishes on the menu. Then I'd buy the ingredients for those meals, also considering sale items and what was in the freezer. Then I could look at the menu, pick out what sounded good for that night and know that I had all the ingredients for it.

I found http://www.leftoverchef.com/ that was kind of fun. But anymore, if it's been a long, hard working day, and supper will be even later, DH usually says he'll just have a bowl of cereal. Look at our middleaged spreads and you can tell that we don't miss too many meals. :lol:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
snip
Someone suggested to me earlier to have breakfast for dinner. It actually sounds like a brilliant idea to me, as I've never done anything like it.
Grew up on "breakfast for dinner", especially when it was just mom and us girls for dinner (stepdad working nights) and love it to this day!

I will be glad when we finally get our cabin built as cooking anything in the camper is a production! In the summer, it's too hot to use the indoor oven and I keep threatening to learn how to cook over the open fire and still am not skilled on the grill.

Next time I'm at mom's I'll get her recipe for "Everything Waffles". They could be done as pancakes also!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my favorites is breakfast for dinner!;)
But I was in a mood this weekend and we had baked perch with butter and lemon and mushroom stuffed squid with yellow rice and baby veggies out of the freezer for Saturday.
Today we had venison and mushrooms in gravy over some potatoes.. It got colder this weekend and I just wanted some good old comfort food.. I didn't even serve a veggie tonight..:hide don't tell the food police! lol

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On my menu this week is Veggie-beef soup and toasted cheese sandwiches, cabbage roll casserole, a salad night with grilled shrimp, and eggs and pancakes and sausage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last night I grilled a flank steak I found in the back of the freezer. I have no idea how long it had been there but I put it in a marinade on Friday. So it was fine.

Monday is laundry day. I will probably cook a pot of soup. I forgot to soak beans so I'm nor sure. But I need something that can simmer while I fold. :D

Last week I made an Excel chart. Chicken, beef, pork, turkey and fish. Then under each heading I started writing things I normally make.

It all bores me but this was I don't do repeats.

:idunno

Java does your cabbage roll recipie use Tom sauce? My mom used to make what we called "sweet & sour" cabbage rolls. They were made with vinegar and brown sugar. I will forever be looking for this recipie.

G

Latest posts