12 Things to Make with Dandelion Flowers

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS12 drank 2 cups of dandelion tea. Doesn't like it but he doesn't like being constipated either. I suppose I will collect plenty and dehydrate them for the rest of the year.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I only knew there is a dandelion cultivar that is grown for it's roots. They are dried and roasted for a coffee of sorts.
We've dug dandelion roots before. It was plenty of work to get a small bucket full, lots of rinsing, then the roasting and chopping. By the time it was done, we had about a pint jar full. And the coffee/tea didn't taste good at all. We had dug ours in the late, late fall. I wonder if the spring roots would have tasted better.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Marianne - Have you been sun drying them? I need to get on picking some that we have here and was curious to know if sun drying was the way to go, or putting them in the dehydrator?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been known to do that, too. I get the 'raised eyebrow' look from my husband then.
The petals are mild tasting, it's the green part that's bitter. I've battered and fried the blooms before. Nice! I could eat a platter of those.