2 liter bottles

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW, these are all really great ideas. I've used some & will have to try others.

I've also filled several with water & used as a wall o water to get plants well established, then poured out the water for the plant saving a few cents on the water bill.

Also, put about a cup of sugar water or?? and cut a small v-shaped hole on either side near the top half & hang outside as a fly/yellowjacket trap.

ETA: OOPS! when cutting the v-shape, leave the piece attached to create a flap-NOT a hole or they can escape-and the v should be inverted (point up) to give an entryway, but difficult to exit.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cut it in half, invert the top into the bottom, staple in place, put a bunch of holes in it, tie a string to it and you have a minnow trap (if you like to fish). If you use diatomaceous earth you can make a duster for your plants. We camp, fish a lot, so a dry cooler (full of frozed 2 liters) is great for fall/spring camping when it's too cool outside to want to get your hands wet, but not cool enough to safely store food. Use them to make a wall of water for protecting plants,

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Couple of y'all have mentioned the "wall of water" for protecting/establishing plants. Maybe I'm just being dense, but explain please? Thanks!

uvia

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use them in early spring to sow veggie seeds to start up before replanting them in open field. Just I don't use them plain as they come, after cutting them in half I make a couple of holes on the bottom so any excess of water will drain. Myself, I'm not mad of sowing in plastic so I want to be sure it will drain decently.
I'm wondering if rings made out of them could be a good protection of young plants from the evil snails I have in my yard, maybe that too.
Other than that, I recycle them to make my own concoctions of fertilizers, repellents...both natural and not. I just make sure to color the top with a red marker so nobody will get confused and drink the dangerous contents.
Otherwise the bottom of them can be a good mold for butter, cheese or whatever else that is cold. I wouldn't place anything hot there as I think that kind of plastic isn't suitable for hot materials and may release something nasty.

OMG....the greenhouse project is wonderful!! :D

hankus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use them for jugs when I'm jugging and runnin trotlines for catfish. Also the frozen jug trick can be used to keep a livewell cool or a bait bucket cool when fishing.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wash them out and let them dry then store dried grains and dried beans in them you can do the same thing with the plastic 48 oz fruit drink bottles.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You can use them also to protect young plants in the spring, cut off the bottom and place the bottle over the little seedling.

-Working great so far!

Poke tiny holes in the bottom & bury alongside transplants. Fill with water & replace the cap for slow drip irrigation.

- Tried poking holes with the tip of a sharp knife. It lets the water out a bit faster than I wanted. Next time, I'm going to try a thumbtack of safety pin for a tinier whole.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Couple of y'all have mentioned the "wall of water" for protecting/establishing plants. Maybe I'm just being dense, but explain please? Thanks!
wall of water is a thingy sold to protect young plants from frost in the spring. I have never owned one but they are flex plastic and can be formed into a ring or a wall around a plant when filled with water they will protect until all the water inside freezes which means if there is liquid water the temp can not be below 0 C or 32F. They are quite effective if you have the usual short frosts or freezes where the temp falls at night and doesn't go back up again until sunrise. use the 2L bottles for the same effect.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
uvia said:
I use them in early spring to sow veggie seeds to start up before replanting them in open field. Just I don't use them plain as they come, after cutting them in half I make a couple of holes on the bottom so any excess of water will drain. Myself, I'm not mad of sowing in plastic so I want to be sure it will drain decently.
I'm wondering if rings made out of them could be a good protection of young plants from the evil snails I have in my yard, maybe that too.
Other than that, I recycle them to make my own concoctions of fertilizers, repellents...both natural and not. I just make sure to color the top with a red marker so nobody will get confused and drink the dangerous contents.
Otherwise the bottom of them can be a good mold for butter, cheese or whatever else that is cold. I wouldn't place anything hot there as I think that kind of plastic isn't suitable for hot materials and may release something nasty.

OMG....the greenhouse project is wonderful!! :D
I have used them to keep brooding chicks alive during a power failure fill a few with hot water (kettle on wood stove) cap and lay on the side each bottle is good for about a dozen chicks who naturally move to the heat source if they are cold.

Latest posts