$200 Profit From Selling Bunnies = $4,000,000 Fine

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
How stupid.

Too bad that family didn't refuse the initial investigation. I would have told them to come back with a warrant.

As if this country doesn't have enough problems with real criminals, we're going after someone for selling more than $500 in rabbits :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the minute they sold to Petland and a theme park is the minute they became a business (they were one before that but under the radar)

I know all about this type of stuff....you 'don't think you are a biz, but you ARE one' by requirements and income status according to the govt and other agencies.

when I started my goat biz 15 years ago I called USDA/Agri info/my tax accountant etc. and said what does it take to make this happen and be legal. I got my info and never had a problem.

so while it starts out as 'sell 1 bunny to a friend' then you get into selling to a licensed biz, you are now a biz. Truly I never understand why people don't think they are in a business...they are. at this point it is YOUR responsibility before sales to be sure you are legit. if not you face all the kind of crap being thrown at this guy.

before I sold 1 lb. of my hog meat I made sure I had all paperwork in hand. I knew the trouble that could come from selling meats with out proper licenses etc.

I have sympathy for their situation in general because the govt. can hit ya with tons of fees, and the IRS can hit them with not reporting that income---but again, if you want to sell to the public in bigger form, like selling to Petland or a theme park---you best know it is a business at that point and you are subject to true biz practices etc.

and edited to say---if over the years they spent 4K and only reaped $200 in profit....uh, duh, time to quit LOL LOL---but I have to say those expenses are a absolute wonderful write off to your taxes. I made huge refunds because of my equipment write offs, death of animals etc...vs my profit....so yea, if in the red sometimes you can come out wonderful on tax day LOL (BUT THAT time is limited on the good write offs)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
farmer chick is 100% correct...

the moment these folks sold to the petting zoo (a resale op) and a petstore is the moment they broke the law...

according to usda rules and regs you do not have to be usda inspected ect f you sell under $500 in WHOLESALE (meaning to a resale facility)
you can sell unlimited amounts of bunnies ot private buyers...
but the moment you accept a wholesale type contract (ie start sellign to pet stores) is the moment usda can say "hey you broke the rules!"

petland should have allerted them to this as the petstore regulations are made very clear to petstore owners and managment and they should have made these poor folks aware...
in ct petland would be subject to high fines also because they need a usda breeder number for ALL animals sold through the store.

but then again petland are scumbags anyway (personal experience) so that part doesnt supprise me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Pinkfox

why are petland scumbags? I don't know petland so just wondering lol

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This is why the entrepreneurial spirit is dying in this country. I am a small business owner so i know first hand. Try to get a head and someone from the government is standing there with their hand out demanding you fork it over. Did you know I have to pay a yearly tax on the OFFICE FURNITURE in my shop???

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't you then get depreciation value on that furniture also?

you work from home right, (not sure)-----(I did and got tons of value in my favor on my tax filings each year) and don't you rent out yourself your own "room" for rent and declare that as an expense?

for every "pay" situation there should be an offset (if you have the right tax accountant)

I had no idea how to get ahead in small biz game until I hit a good tax accountant....worth every little penny (and they are NOT expensive at all lol)

every legal write off etc for a big corp is allowed a small corp mostly!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey Pinkfox

why are petland scumbags? I don't know petland so just wondering lol
They are known in animal rescue circles as being the worst about selling animals from puppy mills and such. Many people who are into spay and neuter (like me) for companion animals hate the dog and cat for profit trade because of the massive euthanasia and abuse. Petland is known to be the traditional big supporter of the trade by their buying practices.

Petsmart and Petco, on the other hand, never sell dogs and cats but instead allow humane societies and rescue groups to hold adoption events.

At least that is what I have been told, as a rescue person, is the problem, but in my area there is no Petland so perhaps someone more local has the more recent scoop. But rescue folk say the name Petland with a sneer and a cringe.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We have a copy shop. Yes there is some depreciation, but it is still ridiculous to have to pay a yearly tax on a chair I bought at Goodwill!