$200 Profit From Selling Bunnies = $4,000,000 Fine

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It, at least on the surface, seems to be just a family that didn't know that they were doing anything wrong. It doesn't matter to me whether they broke the regulations or not. If they did, then issue a fine, but at least make the fine fit the "crime". A $90k fine for this families "infraction" is ludicrous. Period. I've seen people charged with DUI manslaughter get less of a fine. To increase it to $4 million, in and of itself, seems criminal.
:thumbsup :clap

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
What happens when you feed your dog raw meat, and the government declares that it is unlawful to do so because there is "unacceptable risk of contamination" for the dog (not ridiculous, there are a gazillion pet care sites out there that warn about feeding your animals real food for fear that they might be exposed to a germ).

- But let's remember that meat isn't raised and treated like it used to be. Now animals are fed unnatural diets of grain, which increases bacteria like e coli who now thrive in the more acidic rumens of cows. Animals that were raised in conventional factory farms have meat that is more likely to be contaminated, so that increases the risk of dogs (or other animals) getting sick from pathogens when it is fed raw. If you're feeding home raised and processed meat, the risk is much smaller, but I don't blame some people for warning against it because it *does* pose some risk. It should be the responsibility of the individual to decide what to feed their pets, and it's their responsibility to properly handle the meat, but the "warning" sites are good, IMO, because it makes people aware of what could happen.

What about feeding your chickens leftovers from your table? What happens when the government dictates that this is not acceptable? Not so far fetched, they already dictate that such items cannot be fed to meat pigs.

-Yeah, and I agree feeding food scraps that humans have eaten from should not be fed to pigs unless cooked (which is the rule). Can you imagine food from buffets and such? Sick people eat and then you feed that food to the hog that will feed people? No thanks! If it's food from your own table, fine. I don't trust all those bazillion other people to have clean leftovers though.

And what about manure on your garden? What will you do when it becomes illegal to use manure on your garden? Again, not so far fetched, the government already dictates what kind of manure can be used on commercial crops, and is now trying to push for regulation of home gardens.

-Regulation (smart regulation) of manure usage is a GOOD thing. Would you want to eat vegetables that had sludge applied a few days before harvest? Yuck. Having regulations on manure (and all fertilizer) usage also prevents over fertilization that runs into our streams and rivers. Not all farmers are thoughtful when it comes to fertilizer (manure and commercial) usage. I see it every day!

Consider the implications of what this means about an out of control government, and what kind of oppression they can burden you with if it is not stopped.
My responses are in bold. I agree that the government oversteps its boundaries, but I would not want to live in a world with no government. They do have some laws in place that protect people.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Two thoughts...

1. Consider the source.
2. Something fishy about $4,600 in sales of a home grown product with only $200 profit. Something tells me we aren't getting the full story, here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Buster said:
Two thoughts...

1. Consider the source.
2. Something fishy about $4,600 in sales of a home grown product with only $200 profit. Something tells me we aren't getting the full story, here.
Agreed. The numbers are sensationalized. (Not that they aren't shocking enough the way they are....) For example, they don't have a $4M fine (yet). Also, they bought the business for $200. Not $200 profit.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IT shouldnt even start with a fine, it should be a slap on the wrist if they didnt know, then if they do it again then put the fine down,

people make mistakes, and so let them learn, but if they do it again, then they deserve the fine.

the laws are just to make money and take away freedoms. poor founding fathers, they did so much to squish the gov into a box, but through fear and lies we lose more and more freedoms every year.

people suggesting warrants, you forget the gov passed the patriot act, that means the gov officials dont need a warrant anymore.
if u dont know what it is, just look it up. they arrested innocent kids,no warrant, no trial, all violations of the constitution.just search it on youtube. (wasnt ron paul or something the only one who voted against it? lol)

they passed this one using the fear again, they are not ur friends lol.

does someone want to add the benjamin franklin security quote:lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
"Liberty is when the goverment fears the people. Tyranny is when the people fear the government."

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
"Liberty is when the goverment fears the people. Tyranny is when the people fear the government."
I'm not afraid of government. I know the laws that pertain to me and I follow them. When there is change at the local level I take action to support or oppose. Me and the government are good. :cool:

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I'm not afraid of government. I know the laws that pertain to me and I follow them. When there is change at the local level I take action to support or oppose. Me and the government are good.
Are you saying that you actually LIKE the mess we're in?

Our lack of action over the past 18 years has made our government evil. Very, very evil.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Buster said:
Two thoughts...

1. Consider the source.
Have you seen the cost of supplies lately?! Considering they had just purchased new cages too, which are easily $100/each.

My bunnies eat me out of the house, butthey re healthy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boogity said:
tortoise said:
I'm not afraid of government. I know the laws that pertain to me and I follow them. When there is change at the local level I take action to support or oppose. Me and the government are good.
Are you saying that you actually LIKE the mess we're in?

Our lack of action over the past 18 years has made our government evil. Very, very evil.
There is a difference between ineffective and "evil." Blame the generations before rather than government.

I'm on the receiving end of the government. There are A LOT of things I DO NOT LIKE about government - the politicians and lobbyists. But I would not be alive if not for the government. Some policies and programs do more good than harm.