2012 TSHTF Preps

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OK so maybe 2012 will bring catastrophic events and maybe not. Lets not debate that here. IF it were to happen, how would you play out the next 2 yrs to prepare?

I am stuck here. No farm for me, no long driveway leading to a nice secure secluded home. Based on that I think this is my list:

Food stores- fats, meat (canned) grains, flour, yeast, salt, sugar, honey, beans

Established garden for veggies

Wood

First aid

Candles

Solar oven

Cash

SS books

Skills needed to work on: sewing, soap making

I know I am missing tons, so jump in!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Guns, ammo, axe, hatchet, cross bow, arrows for crossbow

Big mean biting dog on a long chain - wait, I have that one already...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Guns, ammo, axe, hatchet, cross bow, arrows for crossbow

Big mean biting dog on a long chain - wait, I have that one already...
:clap

See, I forgot all that... I would not survive long!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Well, they won't be plowing the roads in winter here, so cross country skis, alternative modes of transportation like bicycles in fair conditions. Make sure I have many pairs of running shoes.
A boat and oars for the flood-already in the pond, so good there.
Roller blades until the roads are no longer maintained, have, need new palm protectors.

Fishing tackle, learn to make snares from the show Survivorman,
flints for fires, ax maul for firewood.

Start notebook to record where I've seen wild edibles.
Sturdy hiking boots to get wild edibles.

ETA as a woman I think I need many more pairs of shoes than I've listed. Rain boots, aqua shoes for creeks and ponds, wellingtons for the muddy fields, slippers for no heat in the house, extra shoes for bartering for other stuff.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Don't forget fuel, gas, wood (I see you have that one), or whatever.... for heating and for firing up the tractor or truck.

I'm not going to panic much, it will be business as usual for us I'm sure.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I like your list!
in addition to what you listed, we also began stocking up on canning lids, flats and jars, lighters/matches, ammunition and garden seeds.

For firearms, I have an assortment of pistols, shotguns and rifles, some with open sights and some with scopes. All have either holsters and/or slings for easy carry. I have tried to limit myself to just a few popular,easy to obtain calibers.

3 .22 pistols and 1 rifle
2 .40 caliber pistols(for concealed carry)
1 .44 magnum revolver(investment)
3 20 gauge shotguns
3 12 gauge shotguns
1 muzzle loader
1 .223 caliber rifle (I have another on my wish list)
Next up is to begin stock piling reloading supplies and equipment.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honestly, I am going to prepare for this the same way I prepare for all of the other end of the world scenarios.

I am going to live the best life I can live right now, spend time with those I love, and not lose time worrying about things I have no control over.

If the S truly hits the fan, no amount of canned tomatoes or whatever is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I disagree. No, you can't plan for everything, but if you are at least partially prepped, you don't have to panic! You have time to prepare and plan. Stores of food, water, fuel and ammo means time in the bank.

Whether or not things will fall apart in 2012 is something we will all have to find out in 2012 :D In the mean time, floods, tornado, power outages, economic collapse, hyper inflation, etc... are all realistic emergencies I may have to deal with.

To not prepare is to make yourself in to a burden for someone else.

That doesn't set right with me.

No, I can't prepare for every possible scenario, but as a wise person said on another thread...

"I can do more than nothing"

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a lot of stuff on hand for emergencies, camping & simple frugality. We keep candles, lamps & oil, matches, medical supplies, ammo, camp stoves, fishing line, hooks & snare wire, emergency blankets, foods, camp axes, folding shovels, paracord, canvas, water & lots of other stuff in bags, packed & ready to go. We each cary our own stuff, even the kids. DH has more as he can bear more weight, the kids naturally have less.

So, if we decide to go camping, we just grab our bags & out the door.

Same for SHTF, unless we stay home & barricade. Depends on the situation of the poo actually hitting the fan. Like solar flares, well, you just can't prepare much for all-life-on-earth-ending sunburns, yeah? That is where hikerchick's position comes to mind. :)

I still need to get some more medical supplies, like sutures, painkillers, antibiotics & a field surgical kit. And always more ammo.

The most important thing IMO that we do is read & learn. Knowledge is power. That, along with hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I guess my idea of prepping is to be ready to poach whatever's available to eat, after the stuff we've stored up is gone. Meaning, have things on hand that will enable you to hunt/prepare wild foods.