2012 TSHTF Preps

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I guess those of us who live in tiny apartments where the most we can stockpile is a week's worth of groceries are going to end up being someone's burden. And believe me, there are a LOT of us.

BTW, I will be needing your addresses for a study I am doing. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Quail - Having a self-sustaining flock of ducks and quail wont hurt either. I just need to be able to grow their food. Not sure I have room for that though.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I guess my idea of prepping is to be ready to poach whatever's available to eat, after the stuff we've stored up is gone. Meaning, have things on hand that will enable you to hunt/prepare wild foods.
Yup!! Those with the gold may rule, but those with the guns and ammo will eat. I have yet to find a good recipe for preparing gold for the dinner table. :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I completely agree with Wifezilla....Not going to get into a debate about it, just agreeing.

My list covers pretty much what everyone else has discussed. I'm putting my SS plans into overdrive while out here on the road. I was telling DH that over the next 2 years we are going to get our house into SS shape. No more lallygagging. I am going to be ready to quit this job in Jan 2012, and work on my food stores, and other storage/SS things. I'm not in a panic, and who knows if anything will truely happen. I'll be ready if it does.

My list:

Old tools that don't require electricity
Storage containers (food grade)
Wood
Water (and we will also be digging a well)
SS books
Food (duh)
Material
Hardware
Canning supplies

And more when I think of it.....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hikerchick, that's one of my biggest fears, that when stuff hits, people from the cities are going to flock to the country and just take, not try to share or help etc, but take.

Do ya'll remember Hurricane Katrina and the pandemonium among the people in New Orleans? the looting, etc. I took that as a small sign of what it would be like if we had a disaster of a national level like that.

That's what scares me, not the disaster or sun spots of anything of that nature, but how people are going to react and behave afterwards.

Sure wish I had 1,000 acres with my house right smack in the middle of it...hidden by hills, rocks, and trees.

:hide

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Quail - Having a self-sustaining flock of ducks and quail wont hurt either. I just need to be able to grow their food. Not sure I have room for that though.
yup, I agree! that's why I have ducks, chickens, and turkeys.

Thankfully for me, free ranging is an option, but if tshtf, freeranging could be dangerous for preserving my flocks due to others being hungry, etc.

Freeranging is rough in the winter, too, when there's not as much for them to eat.

I want to be able to grow my own feeds, too.

:thumbsup

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Just sayin'.....

217_downsized_1205091652.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I guess those of us who live in tiny apartments where the most we can stockpile is a week's worth of groceries are going to end up being someone's burden.
I disagree that a small apartment can only hold a weeks worth of food.

I lived for years in tiny apartments. I now live in a tiny house. Creative storage can get you at least several months worth of food on hand without making your house look like a fall out shelter. My coffee table is a wicker chest. I got it at a garage sale for $10. It is full of dry goods. My end table is a wood chest too. That is about half full. Another end table is one of those big snake charmer looking baskets. Between the three I can get about 6 months worth of beans, canned meat, dried veggies, honey, steel cut oats, quinoa, lentils, nuts, canned tomatoes, salt, dried herbs and other long term storage items.

After those three are full, I can get a 4 pack of small storage tubs that fit under the bed for $4 (the large ones don't always fit underneath so I don't buy them anymore). Buy one 4 pack a month and fill it up and stuff it under the bed.

As for my address....hee hee hee. Go to Colorado and head straight. If you get to Pueblo, you've gone to far :D

One more thing...
I don't worry about stuff going bad. First of all, I only store stuff that can last for years without getting nasty or degrading too much. Second, I am practicing cooking with all the of the stores ingredients to make sure I know what I am doing. Hubby is enjoying his guinea pig status and really likes my ham and bean experiments. 3rd, if I really think I might not be able to use something, I donate it while it is still in good condition to the local food bank.

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I guess my idea of prepping is to be ready to poach whatever's available to eat, after the stuff we've stored up is gone. Meaning, have things on hand that will enable you to hunt/prepare wild foods.
If the SHTF, I'm certainly hoping that game commission isn't high on the budget for the government.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail-

I promise not to loot your stuff. :)

Truth be told, if any disaster of that magnitude occurs, I don't want to be one of the survivors anyway.

Living in a post- apocalyptic world just does not interest me.