2022-23 Heating Season - high prices?!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
we did windows today too! cat isn't impressed but we can already feel the difference. Do you do all your windows? We keep one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom open all year for breathing purposes if we need
and my mudroom gets cold enough the tape doesn't stay stuck. annoying - it needs it the most!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Check all your outlets. A good amount of cold comes in there! You'd be surprised...hold you hand over one. My windows are tight, no issues there but, I do pull shades at night when things like glass...even double paned...get coldest. Sunshine warms it nicely in morning. I cover my over stove filters in winter, to keep heat in. If I need the exhaust, I remove the cover until done ... Mine vents outside and a flow will develop uncovered.

I do worry about DHs parents though, they are in theirn80s and both thin and get cold easily and like to keep their heat set high but are on a fixed income
Can they close off some rooms and contain heat in the more utilized areas?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We only use wood for heat. About once a month we turn on the heat for a few hours when we clean the stove. I do worry about DHs parents though, they are in theirn80s and both thin and get cold easily and like to keep their heat set high but are on a fixed income

Electric footed throw blankets for their chairs. What I'm getting my parents as part of Christmas

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we did windows today too! cat isn't impressed but we can already feel the difference. Do you do all your windows? We keep one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom open all year for breathing purposes if we need

we don't do the windows as they are all double paned. what has helped here a lot is getting all the cracks in the wood siding caulked so there are fewer drafts. the first years after i initially caulked up a lot of them i could tell the difference in my room immediately. every few years now i've been keeping up with getting the larger cracks sealed up so it's not too bad to do and now that i've restained the whole house i went around and spent a few days trying to get the worst of them sealed up again for this round too. a few $ and hours spent sealing things up well means it does feel nicer in here all winter and summer too. not as drafty when the wind blows...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mobile home has double windows. Looks impressive but they are leaky. There is no outside trim, just cut ends of the vinyl siding. Those ends are wide open. Windows sweat, have light case of green algae on inside where I can’t reach. Going to get Chris over here some day to remove bottom inside windows so I can clean them all. Inside windows have ridiculous little tabs to stick fingertips in, push on tabs while lifting windows. They are just wide enough to make it difficult. I’m thinking a couple of pieces of wood, dowel pin on one end for stupid tabs, handle on other for my tab pushing, window lifting pleasure.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
we don't do the windows as they are all double paned. what has helped here a lot is getting all the cracks in the wood siding caulked so there are fewer drafts. the first years after i initially caulked up a lot of them i could tell the difference in my room immediately. every few years now i've been keeping up with getting the larger cracks sealed up so it's not too bad to do and now that i've restained the whole house i went around and spent a few days trying to get the worst of them sealed up again for this round too. a few $ and hours spent sealing things up well means it does feel nicer in here all winter and summer too. not as drafty when the wind blows...
DH took window and door trim off and spray foamed the gaps. Outlets and switches too. HUGE difference in an old farmhouse!! Especially the parts constructed 1880s!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This 1972 home that was remodeled down to the studs in 2017-18, has no wood stove. They took out the middle of the room fireplace (I can see the footings under the house) and installed a propane fireplace. I'm now dependent upon propane for my furnace, range top, and decorative fireplace. Good thing electricity is really really cheap up here!

Latest posts