2dreams - Its Spring In Mississippi w/pallet bed pic

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Been busy, busy, busy. I got off at noon yesterday (Friday). On my way home stopped and bought an eggplant and some Marigolds. Got home about 1 and low and behold DH drove up right behind me. He took the afternoon off too. So we grabbed a bite to eat and decided to make a run to a new nursery up the road from us. Bought 15 tomato plants and I bought some bedding plants. When we got home he brought the tiller up to the house and did one more tilling on the unplanted part of the garden by the house in prep for todays plantings while I took care of chickens and rabbits.

Today (Saturday), We planted 12 of the tomato plants, the eggplant and about 8 hills of bush snap beans. I planted the Marigolds around the garden. Lets hope that helps keep the rabbits out. I need another flat of marigolds to completely surround this small garden up here by the house.
DH built me a three tier stair step plant space connected to the front porch for my herbs that I have decided to keep in the pots. He did that while I made a trip to town to buy some pots for my new flowers I bought yesterday. Wow was I surprised at the cost of flower pots. I have not had to buy any for a long time so I was shocked and said NO WAY. And I was at Big Lots which is suppose to be cheap. So I looked around and found some really neat plastic picnic items. I bought 3 very brightly colored bowls that were $2 ea and 3 matching plastic buckets were $2.50 ea. I also found a very pretty flavored popcorn tin for 3 dollars and that includes the popcorn. So I loaded those up and came home. Got out the drill and popped some holes in the bottoms of the plastics and went to planting. I will empty that popcorn tin tomorrow and drill holes and plant in it later.

We also discovered why our "down the hill garden spot" has been flooding. The area is low and parts of that property flood when we get a lot of rain but never as much or as bad as this year. There was a tree across the ditch and had the ditch stopped up so all the water was coming out of the banks and causing the water to back up into our garden. So we spent the afternoon cleaning that up.
That was a nasty, time consuming job. But at least now our garden won't be washed away everytime it comes a rain.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Here is what we put in the ground this week.

6 rows of corn (second planting)

16 more tomato plants (Paul Robeson, Beefsteak, Brandywine, Marion, Celebrity)

Green beans - 2 rows of bush and 1 row of pole

2 rows of pumpkins

2 rows peanuts

2 rows lima beans

My two upside down baskets of Sweet 100 tomatos are blooming so I also started my leaf lettuce seed this week. My lettuce and salad tomato should be ready about the same time. I will eat off those all summer.

I also started a couple more herb seed. Golden Leaf Pursalean and something else (I forgot). My order from Blossom Farm arrived today. Salad Burdock, Pennyroyal, Pineapple Mint, Lemon Mint and Bananna Mint.

Everything looks good. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL

hey you lost your mind and it must be with my mind "somewhere"!

I sure know what you mean!!!!!

Too much to do too fast in spring. Always the way.

Slow down, kick back and relax....all the veggies somehow survive and grow and do well without us going insane..HA HA HA

My house is upside down. The carpet is laid but not seemed on one side and he finished painting at 11 pm last night! UGH,,,now to clean up the floors etc. and start putting furniture etc. where it belongs.

Well the moral is....I need to be outside!!!! Not inside re-arranging and cleaning..HA HA HA...my veggies are on their own right now!

I hear you on the weather. Big storm came thru last night...quite the lightening show! Dry today, so far..HA HA

If you find your mind, ask where mine is too please :/

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Finally took some pics of some of our projects. Of course since it took so long to take the pics and get them posted - things have changed. LOL

This is some of my herbs and a few flowers
newherbshow.jpg

Garden partially planted (Big Garden)
downthehill.jpg

Big Garden From Garlic And Onion End
downthehill2.jpg

English Peas & Sugar Snaps in Kitchen Garden (Little Garden)
englishpeas.jpg

Strawberrys (next to Kitchen Garden)
strawberrys.jpg

And just a bit of Whimsy in my front yard. There is no reason for this bridge other than we wanted one.
bridge.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That bridge is one of my favorite spots. Everyone needs a bridge to no where.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Gosh, where does the time go. I love the long days because I get so much done in the afternoons when I get home from work.....unfortunately, the nights are not longer as well. Seems like I am always tired.

Anyway, I think we finally have everything planted. Whew.... lots of stuff is showing its head. The crows have discovered our corn. Fortunately they did not discover much of it.

I should have baby rabbits in about 10 days or so. I spent the afternoon revamping both does cages so hopefully I won't lose any babies this time around. I am going to try my hand at canning rabbits and chicken this year.

I also discovered that chickens don't like CHANGE. I had 4 silkie roosters and 2 cornish banty roosters that have grown up together and lived together with no problem until the first of this week. I gave away two of the silkie roosters and then moved some of the baby chicks down the hill to the big chicken house. Wow - Did we forever more have a major domestic dispute in the banty chicken house. My two remaining silkie roosters and my two cornish banty roosters almost killed each other. Had to seperate them and now have to build new housing for the cornish. We have been saying that we wanted to seperate them for a year now but other things just kept popping up. Now there is no choice unless of course we want to make Rooster Stew.
Since we both have already made plans that can not be changed for tomorrow looks like Sunday after noon will be new Chicken Quarters building day.

Oh well, like I have always heard....There is no rest for the weary.

Latest posts