2dreams - Its Spring In Mississippi w/pallet bed pic

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Been a busy few months around here. Not to mention some really heavy rains. Which by the way totally destroyed all my garden work. Not once, not twice but three times. All my corn and potatos were washed away. Thanks to Peddler I now have my potatos planted in a chicken wire cage along with a few planted in a black garbage bag. The black garbage bag works just like the cage but may actually be easier. This is a test and we will see.

Not only did the rain destroy the garden down the hill the new neighbors dogs have repeatedly tried to destroy my kitchen garden next to my house. On top of that the wild rabbits seem to not be detered at all by any of my efforts to keep them out of my sugar snaps. I put up netting, the dogs run through it and make a hole for the rabbits. If they are not running through it they are digging under it. I have had to replant my green beans 5 times because of the dogs.

I also lost a litter of rabbits because of those dogs.

After a very unfriendly, loud confrontation and a visit from the sheriffs department, I think we have the dog situation under control. Funny, their dogs are tearing up my garden and scared my rabbits enough to cause one to abort, they called the law on US because I threatened to kill their dogs. Oh well, in the last words of Margret Hamilton as Wicked Witch of the West. What a world, what a world.

I got my herb seeds in and most are in pots and doing well. I have decided to keep them in pots instead of trying to contain them in the ground.

Every one of my tomato and pepper seeds ordered from Baker Seeds came up and are doing great. I am transplanting them into the garden this week.

On top of all that my new grandbaby is now three months old. Seems like only yesterday. My daughter and the baby moved out and back to our home town a few weeks ago. I think I am suffering from Empty Nest Syndrom.

You can imagine with a new baby in the house, trying to get the garden going and all the problems that have come with the rain and the dogs, it has been trying to say the least.

So after my short break from this forum I am going to try to get back into the habit of getting on the computer and actually post here instead of just read up on you folks.

I deleted my old journal after the identity theft thing. I figured there was way to much info there so this will be my new journal with less personal information but lots of garden stuff plus my occasional venting place.

I sure have missed everyone. Be sure and warn Dac that he needs to get his red pencil out to correct all my errors. LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi 2dream!!

So good to hear from you and I am glad you typed an update on how you are doing!! Miss you on the board, but I haven't been on much either. Just too busy!! Tis the season for us to work work and more work...LOL-LOL

Yea we have the same rains here...I think you guys are sending them our way! We are having trouble working the fields also...in the wet weather all we can do is wait it out!

I know you enjoyed having that baby around....but now you will have back your free time to get some things done. But then again, babies are fun and I know you miss them dearly!!!

Dogs---loose dogs----LOL-LOL I hate them just like you do. My side fence is down cause I am getting my addition built and the neighbor dog, a little mutt keeps coming in and eating the cat food off the back porch. Nothing as bad as you, but I hate the thing. People love their dogs but I sure DON'T!!!! Take hard action 2dream. I never let owners get away with throwing their dog burden on my property. You stand your ground....good thing!!!

We are doing well at the farmer markets and that is a sign that people are out and about and must mean spring and summer are kicking into gear now! I like that! But it sure keeps one busy.

I deleted my journal but started a new one with less personal info in it also. Just start a new one to chat about daily things like I am doing. Smart not for us to add too much info for others to get their hands on.....especially after what you have been through!!

Happy Easter to you and hope your gardens come back strong!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Missed you and glad to see you again.

Red pencil is ready but right now I just don't feel like using it. That could change in an instant though.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Great to read what's going on with you 2dream!

It sure is a sad sight to see a garden destroyed like you described.

We don't fence our chickens - so to protect our garden, we fenced around it with a large chain link dog kennel. We only lost a few ears of sweet corn one year to a climbing raccoon, before we covered the top at night. :D

Or maybe electronet would work best for you.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Added more dirt to my potatos today. Finally the few I have left are starting to grow. My sugar snaps, snow peas and english peas are finally starting to look good. I have been spraying them with some kind of commercial stinky rabbit away stuff. Seems to be working. Garlic and onions are coming right along and all my tomatos and peppers are doing great. Hopefully we can get the peas and beans in the ground this weekend. I was going to start on that this afternoon but still to wet. uggggg. I need this rain to slack up some.
Oh well, in another month I will be complaining because it is to dry, or to hot, or the mosquitos are biting. LOL I guess I could change the name of my journal to "Complaining About The Weather".
Hope everyone had a great day.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dreams....I am so with you on the rain! Enough is enough already. I am sitting here every day...just waiting untill we can get in the garden. Looks like I will be harvesting tomatos from the seed pots! :lol: Come on SUNSHINE!! I think a little hot pepper around the garden edge, will stop those nosey dogs! :p Good luck...and welcome back!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I am losing my mind. Well, maybe I lost it a long time ago and am just now really noticing it. :idunno

First, a few days ago I posted about adding dirt to the taters etc.

Well, what I forgot was that the first thing I did was supposedly loosen the soil around my onions.
Yesterday, I rushed home from work and prepared a planter for my 2nd planting of carrots. Came in the house rummaging around for my seed. Finally found them and decided I wanted something to drink. Grabbed a glass, poured some Mountian Dew, grabbed the seed and rushed outside. Tore open the seed and started sprinkling it in. Saying to myself the whole time. Gosh those are big carrot seed. Looked at the pack and it was my Dwarf Pak Choy.
Ugggg..... Cool weather crop. Was waiting until this fall to plant. So prepared another planter for carrots. Then walked down to my onions and stopped dead in my tracks. Someone had piled dirt up around my onions. ummmm wonder who that someone was?

DH is laughing at me. Says I need to slow down and relax. Apparently I was so preoccupied with my rushing headlong thoughts that I was thinking about dirt on the taters, gonna plant the pumpkins over there, check the apple tree to see if I got all the downy mildew sprayed, oh my that new pear tree looks a little wilted, need to get the last of my pepper plants in the ground, etc, etc. That while I was suppose to be loosening the soil around the onions I covered them up thinking potatos.

So now when I pick up the shovel DH says, "Drop it", Back away from the shovel".

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: that so sounds like how I get sometimes. Too many things to do and can't keep my mind on the right path. Nice to know I'm not alone.