30 Day Homesteading Challenge - October 2021

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do use a stick blender and I know it's supposed to be easy but it's usually not. However, the last batch I made actually thickened up - but it didn't taste so good. Dh won't eat anything but Hellman's so I need to make it taste really similar.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do use a stick blender and I know it's supposed to be easy but it's usually not. However, the last batch I made actually thickened up - but it didn't taste so good. Dh won't eat anything but Hellman's so I need to make it taste really similar.
If you find a recipe that tastes like Hellmans/Best Foods let us know. I've never found a substitute. I don't particularly like mayo, but it's needed for some things. Most people I know will only eat that brand.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I make my good/healthy stuff and DH can eat it or buy his own. He buys his own junk. :shudder: He buys the worst tortilla chips (in terms of ingredients - soybean oil and TBHQ). I told him I don't want the kids eating them. I won't touch them either. DS14 has been ranting about the ingredients in "bought" tortillas - and they are pretty bad! - and then he eats a stack of plain tortillas out of the cupboard while pretending to wash dishes. 🙄🤔

I need to make tortillas! oooo, nixtamalize wheat for tortillas? https://nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2015...YzVPQSfZfOZTI2D1Qu51T2G_2x_vs2jkFwosFxLYJMSZM

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
paraphrasing a song and adapting to bread making... "I knead you, like the rain kneads the flowers, you know I knead you..." sorry, it just popped in my head and so i had to share. :)

my kitchen skill i had to learn here was patience and staying out of the kitchen when Mom is cooking. most of the time we're just not that compatible and a lot of it is because when she goes left so do i and we're in each other's way. what i do to help out is open things up she can't and i also do clean-up when she's done.

she has her system down for making cookies in large batches so it is also good for me to stay away during those times because if i'm there she might forget what step she's on.

we hardly ever roll anything out here so i've not ever heard of spacers before. interesting idea. oiled dowels should work for that. hmm... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you find a recipe that tastes like Hellmans/Best Foods let us know. I've never found a substitute. I don't particularly like mayo, but it's needed for some things. Most people I know will only eat that brand.

the Wallys World store brand works ok for making things like potato salad or where you won't be tasting the mayo just by itself. it comes in a pretty big jar too so you can save a few $ by using that instead of the more expensive brands.

we usually have at least three different jars of mayo like things in the fridge (Hellmanns, Miracle Whip and the store brand). for me some things just are not right if they don't have MW on them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on cleaning my kitchen. :gigDS14 washed dishes and everything he washed is dirty - including everything he put in the dishwasher. It's worse than when he started. He is helping DH hang steel siding so my kitchen will be messy for a while.

I'm forgetting what challenge day I'm supposed to be on. Somewhere around kitchen skills, kitchen scraps and compost.

I'm lazy about food scraps. Between goats and chickens I don't try much. Whatever they don't eat composts in place. That's my compost "pile" I guess.

Okay, cooking skills. Here's a list for newbies. https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/12-cooking-skills-every-young-adult-should-learn

I'm trying nixtamalizing wheat berries for making flour tortillas. I converted nixtamalizing instructions to US units and started the process. :fl

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prefer Dukes mayo (no sugar added), although I wish they used a different oil.