Reaction score
20211011_133934.png

This challenge looks fun for both newbies and experienced people

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Already daily life here. :lol: and do I have some add ONs!!! 😁
Even if you're a pro you can use the challenge to level up. Somebody starting out might try making bread for the first time, but an experienced homesteader could grind wheat (or grow it), cultivate fresh yeast our sourdough starter, or focus on a different ingredient they buy at the grocery store.

I use prompts like this so I dont get stuck in a rut. I am stuck in a rut right now. My property has more potential than my habits. 🤣

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 3 - Plant an edible
20211012_080142.jpg

I planted romaine seed for microgreens or baby lettuce. I tried growing microgreens in soil a few years ago and it was a mess. I'm trying paper towel this time. Its under artificial lights I already have set up for my houseplants.

My family had the BBQ lamb sandwiches last night. Homemade bread, BBQ sauce and homegrown lamb. It was good! It got me thinking that I could make red pepper flake spice.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My getting sick has put this on temporary hold, but I have a 3 Sisters SS meal planned. I harvested the Painted Mountain corn we grew, and I will nixtamalize it to make hominy. Then we can make a stew using one of our excess chickens, with the hominy, the dried tepary beans we grew, and the Ute squash we grew, along with onions, greens, and herbs from the garden. DH will grind some wheat and make sourdough bread using nothing but water, salt, and the yeast present on the wheat. The only things not actually produced on our tiny little half acre being the wheat and the salt. My goal is to make this our Thanksgiving Meal this year.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Try to give up your modern conveniences, smart phones , electricity, vehicles, fast or processed food and all the creature comforts we have now , go back to walking or riding a horse or mule , keep a journal then after 30 days tell us about it , would be a neat project if it was feasible, who knows one day we might try it
I was contemplating something like this today. I popped leftovers into the fridge and it got me wondering about food/meal prep habits pre-refrigeration, and then about food safety.

I despise the sound of a refrigerator running. If I am ever single I may decide to skip the fridge. Then again, I use the fridge to compensate for fatigue when I'm preparing food.

I would love to use a horse and buggy, at least spring through fall. I live in Amish country so the town 6 miles away has hitching posts around town. DH says no. I can bring just about anything home except a horse. If I acquire a horse, the horse and I will suddenly be homeless. :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My baby step for Day 4 is I bought 2 foraging /wild edible books by different authors. I took a class by one of the authors and his #1 safety tip for foraging was to check at least 2 books by 2 different authors before eating a new foraged food.

One of the books includes preparation /cooking instructions.