40 Items to stock up on before a SHTF situation

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a neatly stacked bar soap in the storage area. DH prefers to use "body wash" but I like to use bar soap and a washcloth. I feed cleaner afterwards and it lasts a lot longer than a bottle of body wash. plus ti takes up less room. I have "Zest" and the Dove "beauty bar". I grew up using Zest, so that is the sent that I associate with clean, but after the breast cancer radiation my skin is more sensitive in that area so I can't use soap and need to use the Dove.

I am going to restock the #10 cans of freeze dried fruits that I am using up right now because they are about to expire. I am really liking that they are there on the shelf for me to use for fruit in the winter.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but a person who lives off the grid or in the backcountry ought to have a stockpile of socks and replacement shoe laces. I broke a shoe lace and destroyed a pair of socks today because I wear them until they disintegrate.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha that reminds me of this video my husband showed me. Everytime we shoot our pistols we always think of this and say, " We throw the bullets, not shoot them! " The stupid, but kinda funny things my husband finds on YouTube.

If I'm ever in a gun fight I want it to be against someone with using the super modified gansta grip throwing bullets at me.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the video - those would be my lame taunts, too. lol

As for ammo - I had a friend who had an ammo-couch in his basement. He had enough ammo stashed that he stacked some of the boxes to form a couch, he put some old cushions on it and covered it with blankets. It was not very comfortable.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I couldn't do a family cloth unless absolutely no other choices like dried leaves or grass twists. Ive been meaning to grow some mullein.

I remember Grandma complaining about washing diapers by hand. It was a long, horrible process and then boiling the diaper in lye water after.

I think the water pitcher is a better method than a fabric cloth. That's how it's still done in some places without toilets
I use family cloth now. There's actually very little urine on the cloth when you wipe and it's easily washed out. I still use TP for poo. Screw that. Ha! So, it's not like washing a load of diapers. Doing diapers like our grandma's did....I'll pass.
I'll have to google the water pitcher method. Our nomadic son complains about having to use paper when he's in the States. I've never asked what he does when he's in India or wherever.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would need to exchange Whiskey for the cheap wine, drop the condoms, add fishing hooks, fencing wire and freeze dried fruit. I would also add wheat berries - as I have a grain mill and you all know - bread is the food of life.