5 gallon bucket handles need fixin

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
lemons: :welcome

I like that idea! I do have pieces of it from old plumbing projects and have 8 remaining buckets to repair. :D

I am honored that you registered just to share and explain this!
I hope that you find this site helpful to yourself, as well.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
All you guys who suggested vet rap: I never thought of that and I worked at Calder, Hialeah, Gulfstream, Upper Arlington Race Tracks and Indian River training farm as a groom and exerciser, plus owned 3 horses myself. :hide

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Believe it or not they actually make a thing just for that. It opens the lids and has a snap thingy that clips onto the bucket for carrying and another thingy on the other side for something else. I haven't figured out what yet though. And when you finish carrying the bucket it snaps right off for use on another bucket. I have one. It REALLY helps. It was only like $3 at a tool sale. it is called a four in one bucket tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/prazi-pr-9500.html?ref=base This site has them, but you can probably get one at a hardware store. I have had mine for over 5 years now.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ha, I was at the (very sad, farm totally closed and gone now) auction at Windfields Farm this past Saturday (sylvie will appreciate that -- it was one of the premier TB race breeding farms in North America, home of Northern Dancer and a whole bunch of other most excellent horses)...

... and some of the (millions of) buckets being sold had the handles patched with hose or with pvc, just as previous posters have described :)

Pat, who bought a microscope and a longe halter and a couple rakes, as much as souvenirs as anything altho they were also some of the very few *good buys* to be had that day.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that need something!
The plastic hand grips have broken off from the wire handles. I put split firewood in the buckets and bring in about 4 for each night. Even with gloves the bare wire handles are uncomfortable.
Any ideas?
I agree with a rag followed by lots of duct tape, but also, I really like the idea of bringing in firewood in a bucket! I always stack in in my arms and get wood junk all over my chest. Good idea.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a 5 gal. bucket rigged up as a hanging feeder for my chickens and the original plastic handle on it broke. I used clothesline to make a new one, kinda figure-eighting it through the holes and under the rim, a loop to one side and one to the other, knotting at the side of the bucket. You end up with double strand of clothesline for the handle and the loops hold most of the weight around the sides under the rim. Very strong that way. Then I wrap as much duct tape around the center of the new handle as needed to give it cushion. This holds about 25 pounds of feed hanging continuously.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Vet rap is amazing stuff! I keep some int hecar, in the house, in the barn.

The first time I was introduce to vet rap, my big rotti had a big booboo on his dew claw. he had this while he had his yearly checkup. while at the vet, the vet said it was slightly infected and said he could wrap it up for me if I would like. I said sure. (innocent naive me :/) He tried charging me $20 for a foot of vet rap, when i can buy a whole roll at TSC for $2.49. last time I went to that vet.
It isn't the cost of the materials that you pay for it is the knowledge of how and when to use them:p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
~gd said:
miss_thenorth said:
Vet rap is amazing stuff! I keep some int hecar, in the house, in the barn.

The first time I was introduce to vet rap, my big rotti had a big booboo on his dew claw. he had this while he had his yearly checkup. while at the vet, the vet said it was slightly infected and said he could wrap it up for me if I would like. I said sure. (innocent naive me :/) He tried charging me $20 for a foot of vet rap, when i can buy a whole roll at TSC for $2.49. last time I went to that vet.
It isn't the cost of the materials that you pay for it is the knowledge of how and when to use them:p
The vet's knowledge for the use of vet wrap was not even close to being worth $20. He was a sheister. :/