5 PRACTICAL USES FOR WOOD ASH

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it's especially good to keep snails and slugs away; they don't like the gritty texture on their underbellies, apparently. Where I live now, it's too dry for them, so I don't have to worry about that.

I like putting ashes on the pathways in the snow; the darker color holds a bit of heat from the sun and the snow melts just a bit faster. The grittiness helps with footing too.
So far as benefits in the garden, coal ash can help break up compacted clay, improve drainage and probably add at least small amounts of nutrients (although not as much as wood ash). ... The coal was mined from the Earth and burned, so it's akin to lime, greensand and similar minerals used in gardening.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
which is why it's so important to do soil tests whenever you're going to amend the soil

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beware ashes in the garden. They can jack the pH up to an unsafe (for plant growth) level.
That's a good reminder, you are correct, It should be in a controlled amount. I will definitely keep that in mind.
But the conditions are so far so good as of today.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Making lye soap? I've used it for most of the purposes already mentioned but have yet to make lye soap from our ashes, though my grandmother used to do so.

The wild birds LOVE to eat the wood ashes also, as they are of some benefit for internal parasite removal and also hold valuable minerals for our own birds. My chickens love to pick through them.

I usually keep a charred log in animal pens for sampling and have seen them sample. My grandma used to do so with her pigs as well.

Control pond algae, shine tarnished silver, etc.

Here's a pretty extensive list of 60+ uses for it: https://practicalselfreliance.com/wood-ash-uses/

After reading some of this article I realized we've used ashes in the outhouse before too, just needed to read it to remember that.
what? Do wild birds eat ashes? wow!! I don't know that. maybe I'll try that so we can have birds hanging around our garden too. that will be so nice. :D:D:D

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When ever I put out stove ash for the chickens, they poop black for a while. I'm sure the wild birds would greatly appreciate the mineral benefits of wood ash as well.

Maybe we should start incorporating some wood ash into our smoothies!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When ever I put out stove ash for the chickens, they poop black for a while. I'm sure the wild birds would greatly appreciate the mineral benefits of wood ash as well.

Maybe we should start incorporating some wood ash into our smoothies!
Wood ash? In Ice cream? I can't imagine... But you're correct... I know for a fact that there will be benefits alongside that yuckiness!!! no offence...hahaha!!! I like the idea but I just can't imagine putting that in my mouth.. :D:D:D

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was joking. Nope.... I can't imagine it either. But... I bet it packs a nutritious wallop. Perhaps a kale/ash smoothie. I know folks put kale in their fruit smoothies. I can't wrap my head or taste buds around that, either.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was joking. Nope.... I can't imagine it either. But... I bet it packs a nutritious wallop. Perhaps a kale/ash smoothie. I know folks put kale in their fruit smoothies. I can't wrap my head or taste buds around that, either.
Well... Most of the most nutritious fruits and veggies are the most disgusting!!! (truth be told.) :D:D:D. But I guess its fine once in a while... I can live with that...

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wood ash is good for removing hair from hides but you better save up a big amount of it! It took a whole lot for us to dehair deer hides year before last. Also, you will want to sift it and make sure to have no charcoal in there as it will mark the flesh side of the hide up and it's extremely hard to get off if it isn't completely "stained" black by the pieces. If you ever consider tanning, save up those fireplace and wood stove ashes in bulk.