50 Pounds of Onion vs. the Veg-O-Matic

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does the top blade slice a different direction so you end up with cubes instead of strips?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes, the the dicing blade has crisscrossed cutting edges so that you end up with cubes.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got 250 onion plants growing and I'm trying to figure out what to do with that many onions! I don't have cool place to store them so I'm going to have to either freeze them or dry them. Did dehydrating the onions fill the house with fumes?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've done a 10 lb bag of onions before, and started them in the house. Within 20 minutes the dehydrator was on the front porch. (in the summer) In another 10 minutes, it was outside of the shop, about 40 ft from the house. It remained there until the onions were dried. So, yes, your house stinks to high heaven! :lol:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
I've got 250 onion plants growing and I'm trying to figure out what to do with that many onions! I don't have cool place to store them so I'm going to have to either freeze them or dry them. Did dehydrating the onions fill the house with fumes?
As miss_thenorth stated, yes it will indeed fill you house with fumes. However, being originally from the New Orleans area, we didn't mind it. In fact, I can't wait until we do garlic - seasoning junkie nirvana!

For most mere mortals however, putting the dehydrator on a cover porch or similar area is recommended. :lol: