50 Pounds of Onion vs. the Veg-O-Matic

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone else put their onions in the fridge before slicing/dicing? My DH has started doing that when he knows he is going to be using an onion or two. Yoy have to get them chilled pretty good, but it does seem to take the stinging/eye watering away. I am a spur-of-the -moment cook, and can't plan that far ahead, apparently.:)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
On the recommendation of anther SS'er, we were going to try putting the onions in the freezer for a short time before chopping, but we didn't have the room. Same thing for the fridge, no room. So we just toughed it out.

Next time I will find a way to cool them first, even if I have to ice them down. Geeze, I hope my vision returns soon. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I LOVE to dehydrate onions like that. You just gotta try Vidilias that way. :D

I am a wimp however ... I use my food processor.

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I put my onions in the fridge for a day before I cut them up for dehydrating. It cuts down on the eye irritation. The old Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr use to put his onions in the freezer for an hour before cutting them. I don't like the texture when I do that.

Well, my age seems to be showing.

Kim_NC said:
k0xxx said:
Yep, the eyes were indeed stinging and watering like crazy, :hit at least for the first 10 pounds or so, and then they seems to get used to it.....
That's when endorphins and a sense of euphoria kick in. :lol:
I love endorphin euphoria. That's why I eat blazing hot food. Arbol is my favorite pepper. (15,000 - 30,000 SHU)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here is the final product. We added an oxygen absorber to each jar and then vacuum sealed them. Left unopened, they should be good for 5 to 8 years of storage.

I'm not sure why the different colors of onions in the photo. They all looked the same to my old eyes, but it could be that some were diced finer before dehydrating, and some were larger. There are 11 pint jars. Had we not used one before dehydrating and froze a small amount, we would have had one more pint.

The jar in front is the results of 5 pounds of carrots being dehydrated. A single one pint jar.

100_2560.jpg

Not a lot of volume considering what we started with.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
"Not a lot of volume considering what we started with."

Which makes it even easier to store! That is one of the things I like most about dehydrated foods. :thumbsup

Speedysbigred

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Freeze your raw onions with liquid nitrogen! All you have to do then is whack them with a hammer and they shatter into a gadzillion pieces. No need to dice them at all.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Speedysbigred said:
Freeze your raw onions with liquid nitrogen! All you have to do then is whack them with a hammer and they shatter into a gadzillion pieces. No need to dice them at all.
Well, I have to admit that would be different. :lol: