/

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been raising goats for a looooong time.

Knowing what's the 'best' thing and actually doing what's the 'best' can be quite different, lol. If you're gonna milk the does you might let the little bucks nurse a couple days and then sell them as bottle babies. That is the short, sweet simple answer. You don't have to deal with them. You don't have to decide whether or not to wether them, you don't have to dehorn them, you don't have to put any feed into them, you don't have to wean them, and you don't have to house them. That's what a whole lot of goat breeders will tell you to do - sell em!

But, you also don't get the pleasure of watching them grow or watching your children interact with them. Baby goats are one of the joys of life!

Good luck with the babies, and with the decision.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That picture is adorable. I love to see the children interact with the animals as it somehow gives both a sense of well-being. Or something like that - it's hard to explain.

Do you think the goat panels you have for the fencing will keep all of the little guys in? We used to have two does that would bounce off other things and spring right over 4 ft. goat panels. Those too little girls were a pain in the neck :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Love that pic! You need to submit it for a POW.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suppose its possible to sell him immediately, but most people I know would want a female instead. I know a few who wouldn't mind buying a male, but would rather him for slaughtering purposes and not sure they'd want to raise something from a bottle to slaughter, unless they want to immediately do it, which certainly wouldn't provide much, in the line of meat. You might find someone who would have children who would like to bottle raise a kid, and who would also have lots of brush that they want eaten by there new 'lawnmower.' A goat can certainly keep certain vegetation at bay. If it were me......go ahead and put the word out that you'd be willing to sell, but be prepared to keep for a while and just go up on your price, somewhat as time goes....not so much that you are left with him though. Maybe you can barter him off for something else. I bartered my buck for vegetables to an old Cubian man.
I'm wondering if its possible to breed my does at this time of year. I didn't find a buck in the fall and DH's cuz has a friend who will loan us one. I'd rather put up with the stinch for a month than worry about if the other farm has problems with coyotes or other matters. But regardless, I don't know a farmer with goats.....we are not very organized down here, as far as who has what.
But to your delema....I suppose if the price is right and someone has a certain need that a goat can tend to, that they might not mind getting a goatling, providing they have facilities to accomodate.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
About 10 years ago,when I was a more serious breeder I could sell every baby buck as a bottle baby to a petting zoo. The man I sold to had a constant need for littlle, tame babies. Since pygmies breed year round, I kept him supplied for several years. Bottle babies do seem to sell best as pets, but some folks like to raise bucks as bottle babies because it makes them so tame.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We've actually had a few dry days! But, I'm STILL having to wear my muck boots everyday since I have nothing but mud out at the farm!

Latest posts