/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never had any luck w/broccoli, either. I have a couple planted, but they don't seem to be doing anything. I think next year, I'm going to try them for a fall crop as well.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Around here (south of Houston) broccoli is definitely a fall or VERY early spring crop. I planted some in January this year and had a fairly decent harvest. I don't ever plant a lot, because I don't try to preserve it. We just love it for eating fresh so about a dozen plants will do us for fresh eating.

Good luck with your yogurt!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Around here (south of Houston) broccoli is definitely a fall or VERY early spring crop. I planted some in January this year and had a fairly decent harvest. I don't ever plant a lot, because I don't try to preserve it. We just love it for eating fresh so about a dozen plants will do us for fresh eating.
I blanched and froze some broccoli last year. I didn't do very much because I wasn't sure of the quality/taste, but I was surprised at how good it was when it came out of the freezer later. However, I think it's always good to try to eat fresh what is seasonal. Better for us, I think, too.

I have also cooked the broccoli leaves like other greens. I found them a bit stronger than collards...reminded me more of mustard greens. That might have been a temperature thing because my collards taste stronger now this late in the season. Next year I'll try the leaves earlier in the season before the weather warms up.

I like broccoli, too, but one or two plants does it for us! There are only two of us and a dozen plants would bury us! :)

I'm still getting a little broccoli, even though it's gotten pretty warm. I get enough every three days for a two-person serving.

Jill

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You got a nap, so it wasn't non productive. :D :hide

Denim Deb

Reaction score
W/as crazy as our weather has been, I was late getting stuff in. I'm just now picking peas.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get more stuff made and put up as well. It's getting to the point where if I have to cook, I don't want to eat cuz it's too hot. But, if all I have to do is heat it up, I'm good.