a cheap, filling side dish recipe - Penna. Dutch Potato "Stuffing"

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I grew up on this and LOVE it, and having just finished eating a batch with dinner <burp>, thought I'd post the recipe in case anyone is interested.

It's NOT a stuffing, it's just a side dish. You can stuff yourself *with* it of course <g>. It's quite inexpensive and filling, and not all that bad for you.

Potato Stuffing (serves 4 hungry people as side dish)

1 c mashed potatoes (if you don't have leftovers, microwave one
baking-type potato til cooked thru, then scrape the
innards out into a bowl and mash with a little bit of milk,
and that'll be about the right amount)
4 slices bread (mom uses white, I use whole wheat; soft crusts are
ok but remove any really tough crusts)
1 c milk
2 lg (or 3 sm) eggs, beaten
1/2 onion
s+p to taste
2 Tbsp melted butter (good but totally optional)

Rip bread into small pieces; put in bowl with everything else and mix (lightly and not excessively - you want it to stay fluffy and chunky). Put in greased loaf pan. Bake 375 F 1 hour.

If you do not care a fig for anyone's Pennsylvania Dutch heritage, use garlic mashed potatoes for it - my sister did that once, and mmmm. Small pieces of leftover ham or chicken would also be good mixed in. Personally I can't quite bring myself to do it because it just seems *wrong* to me somehow to alter the recipe in any way :p

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sounds delish...I will definitely be trying this one. It sounds like a casserole type version of my dh's klusza ( a mashed potatoe type ball with fried bread cubes in the middle-- type things)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we always have had this...dutch also....its so great to pick at before it even gets cooked :duc

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
we always have had this...dutch also....its so great to pick at before it even gets cooked :duc
Most dutch dishes my mom made are NOT worth repeating or sharing the recipes. (insert barf emoticon here) There is only one dutch meal my mom ever made that I liked, and it wasnt even dutch--it was Indonesian.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This sounds good! Thanks! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yum!! Sounds like a winner! I have an obscene amount of potatoes planted in the garden this year and am gobbling up potato recipes right and left. Glad for another one :) I can picture this with roasted chicken or meatloaf and homemade cranberry sauce. :drool

Latest posts