A female issue - advice? (update)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Anyone got any suggestions (that DO NOT, please, involve suggesting that I radically overhaul my eating habits ;)) for me about the following?

I weaned my now-almost-3-yr old last July, but in the past week my left boob appears to have forgotten. It has been increasingly enlarged and sore, and occasionally leaks a drop or two.

It *feels* like mild mastitis, honestly, although no reddened areas are visible. No clue what could have brought this on.

Anyhow, any suggestions about what I might do, aside from eating healthy and making sure I'm getting plenty of vit C?

Thanks, all suggestions will be listened to although I cannot promise I will choose to follow all of them LOL,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Isn't a tight sports bra supposed to help things settle down?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Take a very warm shower.... and message that breast...untill its softer. As soon as you get out, put on a tight sports bra. This will help compress the milk glands....good luck, I know how uncomfortable that is. OUCH!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I remember right, cabbage leaves applied directly to the breast are supposed to help with swelling, pain and reduction in production.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its been a long time
maybe a trip to the doctor
it could be many things
hope you feel better

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since it has been that long, a trip to the Dr. might not be such a bad thing, especially if it doesn't clear up quickly. I have occasionally had renewed production in one breast or the other. Dr. said it was a hormonal response, and my youngest is 7 :ep

After the warm shower, apply an ice pack.

The cabbage leaves do help. Bruise them a bit, stick them in the fridge then apply directly to your skin. Good thing they're curved ;)

I've heard of Sage tea several times daily, but never used it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to agree about going to the DR. It has been too long IMO for that to be the issue. Make an appt. :hugs

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, I made a Dr appointment just in case, but it's not til next Wednesday and my boob hurts *now* so that's why I'm asking youse guys, plus which you have perspectives that a Dr doesn't :)

Justusnak, you *really* think I should try to express milk or massage the breast? I'm afraid of that making it think even MORE that it's supposed to be 'back in business'...? Taking a poll: what does everyone else think?

Huh. A tight sports bra, really? Y'all have DONE this, and it's worked for mastitis? (no offense, meant, just doublechecking). I could never wear a bra when I was breastfeeding (and after breastfeeding for all but about a year of 5.5 years, I've now gotten totally out of the habit, DH calls me his 'jiggly hippie wife' :p) because wearing a bra would *cause* me to get plugged ducts and mastitis. I will try it if y'all SWEAR that it has helped you...?

I'd forgotten all about cabbage leaves, that's a great idea.

Seems weird to have this now, though I guess it's been less than a year since DS#2 was weaned which is not *that* long. Sigh.

Pat

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whew, I am glad you made an appt! Hopefully someone has a suggestion that helps relieve your pain, me personally Motrin would be my new best friend.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I never had mastitis, but one time while I was breatfeeding, I had to pick my sil up at the airport. Her flight was delayed, I missed my nursing. I expressed out just enough to alleviate the pain. (cuz I wanted to feed her when I got home.) Maybe you could just express a small amount out?

When I did wean her, (and also my ds) I did wear a tight bras to keep things in place. It seems the jiggling made them want to fill up, for whatever reason. Holding them in place seemed to control that. I also found that while I was nursing, and I didn't wear a bra, I leaked a whole lot, whereas, with a bra, I was fine. so I way go with the bra.