A garden tool I made

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I designed this as an alternative to the common three-fingered small garden claw. There may be tools like it on the market, but not in my region. For weeding, we use a rototiller and hoe for the broad-scale work. But a lot of the work of weeding gets down into small spaces right around the desired plants in a vegetable or decorative bed. The tool I made digs right in there.

The business end of the tool is made from 1/4″ mild-steel rod. I cut a piece about 8″ long, heated about half of it into the glowing-orange heat range, and used a piece of 2″ diameter steel pipe as a form for shaping it. Having clamped the section of pipe into my bench vise, I used a hammer to coax one end of the hot steel rod into a sort of question-mark shape (reheating the rod as necessary while I worked on it).

I used an oxy-acetylene torch for the heating, though you could use a blacksmithing forge for the purpose.

4407_weeding_tool.jpg

After making the basic shape, I heated the very end of the rod and hammered it to a taper, which causes a slight flaring at the tip end of the profile. So, once the taper was basically established, I did a bit of grinding (using a bench grinder, and a belt grinder) to remove any burrs and to give final shape to the tip.

Two views of he tip:

4407_hook_end.jpg
4407_img_3256.jpg

When I was satisfied with the metal portion, my focus shifted to making a handle. I chose a piece of ash wood a 5″ section of an old broken shovel handle. I shaped this into a comfortable handle using a coarse belt on my belt grinder. Once I was happy with the feel of the shaped handle, I drilled a 5/16″ hole about 2″ into the appropriate end, and cleaned it out well. I coated about an inch and a half of the shank-end of the shaped steel rod with a fairly thin layer of epoxy glue, and pushed it fully into the handle. Excess oozed out of the handle, so I cleaned that off. Then I let the glue set and cure for about 48 hours.

Once the bond was strong, I just cleaned up the finished tool. I rubbed some vegetable oil into the handle so that it would have a bit of resistance to the moisture thats everpresent with both sweaty working hands and garden soils.

I wasnt sure just how much use this tool would get. But I now find myself using it about three times as much as I use a standard garden claw or a trowel.

A person who was helping us for a few days with weeding our gardens and who had her choice among maybe a dozen tools said this one-finger gadget wound up being her tool of choice. So I felt like my design and tool-making effort succeeded. Not that I see myself as "a fine tool maker"... I'm not, but I admire those who are. But this was satisfying.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made another one of these weeders in bits of spare time over a couple days. The handle is made from a piece of a very old shovel handle.
IMG_1179.JPG

Reason for making this one:
We have a young friend who has been helping out on our place, on and off, over the last three years. She’s been gladly and energetically learning gardening, maintenance, and aspects of land management from us. We won't be seeing too much of her for a while, as she’s enrolled in a diploma program to learn home care for handicapped and otherwise needy people — that will be a career for her, though she’ll still have her garden and chickens on the homesite she rents a few clicks down the road from us.

She liked my question-mark weeder a lot. So, just before she starts her program, we’ll give her this weeder as a good-luck send-off for her student days ahead.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a cool looking tool - and I bet the recipient is going to love it - especially knowing it's handmade!
You're right. And so I was glad I'd made the weeder.

There's whatever value (useful or otherwise) a handmade thing has, but the act of giving has as much or more. She was thrilled and really appreciative!

We'll see her from time to time here and there, because she lives in the community.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice tool. I would use that in my garden.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very cool

a giant sized hoof pick

I have tons of those in smaller version LOL

nice!

also a weapon ;) ;)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
very cool
a giant sized hoof pick
I have tons of those in smaller version LOL
nice!
also a weapon ;) ;)
Hadn't thought of it as a weapon... :gig A bit small, maybe?

Glad you like it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
;)
lol aimed in the right spot on a person damage could be huge ...hmm...Joel the Ripper :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
;)
lol aimed in the right spot on a person damage could be huge ...hmm...Joel the Ripper :lol:
:lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
FarmerChick said:
;)
:lol:
Aww, man... you vicious gals!

It's what we call "bloody-mindedness" up here in Canada. :rolleyes: