A Likely Emergency Situation

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The same mix canned potatoes,carrots, onion , one of my 1/2 pints of celery , a jar of ground beef , a bit of hot sauce , a jar of tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes and you have a beef stew .

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the last arguments BJ and I had was over a broken glass quart jar of chicken dog food. he was going to use the contents and I Pitched a fit. I told him that I durned sure wouldn't feed it to him and he wasn't going to feed it to the dogs. Had to go into detail about slivers of glass in intestines so that he understood. Frozen or not, I just couldn't use food from a broken jar. Hope it never hurts you, I'd miss you. LOL

i'm not dead yet and i've done it probably about 20 times. i am very very careful and despite what Mom thinks i do know what i'm doing.

your comment about arguing and getting over it is very fitting as Mom and i will have our arguments too. like this morning she was spraying the window and side of the house where the box elder bugs were congregating. we have wood pieces for siding, there are cracks and also cracks around the windows. it's just not a good thing to be spraying the house at all, period. oh, and the eaves have wood on them that gets moldy, you really don't want to splash that either. i yelled at her to stop and finally she did. and besides the fact that spraying those bugs off doesn't kill them it just moves them to some other place. *rolls eyes and sighs* :) love her dearly, but some things she just doesn't get - i'm sure i'm the same way to her too. lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are always quarts of heat and serve stuff around here. Around here in the winter it would be to easy . Just put a pot on the wood heater in the morning of beans it's ready at supper time. Or open a jar of beef roast, a jar of onion, a jar of potatoes and a jar of carrots . Put on the heater a it will heat up .
Would you start a thread to share these with us? It would help me!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have a thread on using our canned goods...maybe in ways some of us hadn't thought about before. Like the other thread on mashed carrots - I wonder if that recipe would work well with canned carrots or if they might be kind of watery/mushy?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would you start a thread to share these with us? It would help me!

i think the idea is to can simple ingredients like those mentioned and then you always have them for later if you want to make something else from them. we do this with beans quite a bit as if i'm making a pot of beans it doesn't take that much longer to make a bigger pot of them and then we drain and freeze them so they can be used anytime after that (plain or in combination with other things).

so to me what you ask is answered by going and looking up how to can onions, carrots, potatoes, etc. (pressure canning for some of those is required unless you acidify enough to get them to work as BWB).

Latest posts