A Likely Emergency Situation

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have never been a big fan of TEOTWAWKI prepping and prefer to prep for likely scenarios, like severe weather, a car accident, or COVID quarantine.

A likely scenario I am not prepped for is being unable to cook, such as during illness or injury. Whoops! 😬

Now that I'm aware, it's next on my to-do list. I'm thinking parbaked breads in the freezer. Maybe cook a roast and slice thin for sandwich meat. Maybe can some soup. Maybe a freezer meal, but I need to get better at labeling them so my family isnt afraid of it 😅 I used to maintain this area of prepping but slipped away from it in the last couple years.

I want to be prepped for 7 days of not being able to cook.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've gotta admit I never really gave that much thought and I should have. Thanks for bringing that up because now I have something else to worry about, lol!

I need to be better at labeling also. There can be a big difference between something I freeze for the dogs and something I freeze for us!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband liked fried Spam. He was not much of a cook, but he felt accomplished when he cooked the few things that he knew how.

After just recovering from Covid, I didn't cook while I was sick. A neighbor brought me some stew and I could only heat up 2 serving spoons of it and I was full. She brought me more food and I heated up just a little at a time.

Covid made food taste terrible, either way too salty or too sweet. yuck.

Tonight I actually cooked the first meal in almost a month. I microwaved a sweet potato and dropped a small sirloin in a cast iron skillet and cooked it. I could taste it, I could eat it and I scarfed it down like a hungry dog.

I have some home canned soup, canned tomato products that would be easy to add stuff to.

I am going to have to learn how to cook for one. I'll probably be freezing cooked food. Probably not so much for the 7 days of meals, as much as it is freezing the left overs.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never been a big fan of TEOTWAWKI prepping and prefer to prep for likely scenarios, like severe weather, a car accident, or COVID quarantine.

A likely scenario I am not prepped for is being unable to cook, such as during illness or injury. Whoops! 😬

Now that I'm aware, it's next on my to-do list. I'm thinking parbaked breads in the freezer. Maybe cook a roast and slice thin for sandwich meat. Maybe can some soup. Maybe a freezer meal, but I need to get better at labeling them so my family isnt afraid of it 😅 I used to maintain this area of prepping but slipped away from it in the last couple years.

I want to be prepped for 7 days of not being able to cook.

instead of breads we've been eating more crackers. those can be stored in well sealed containers and should keep for quite a long time so rotating the stock may not be that tedious.

we freeze cooked beans in quart jars (after draining off the liquid from cooking as Mom doesn't like it - i mourn the loss but it's not something to argue about) so they can be reused as needed. a quick overnight thaw in the fridge or sometimes i'll even thaw them in the microwave.

pre-cooked meals/soups are also stored in quart jars in the freezer for us, just make sure to leave enough head space for expansion so the jars don't break. that was the hardest thing i had to get Mom to do was to not fill jars too full. if a jar broke i'm still be able to peel off the glass and eat the contents (rinse with hot water to make sure no glass bits are left at all) but i'm sure most people would just throw it all away. i can't do that...

oatmeal, dried fruits and nuts, peanut butter are all things i can easily live off for days without any problem. microwave cooking of oatmeal just isn't that difficult no matter how i feel.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if a jar broke i'm still be able to peel off the glass and eat the contents (rinse with hot water to make sure no glass bits are left at all) but i'm sure most people would just throw it all away. i can't do that...
One of the last arguments BJ and I had was over a broken glass quart jar of chicken dog food. he was going to use the contents and I Pitched a fit. I told him that I durned sure wouldn't feed it to him and he wasn't going to feed it to the dogs. Had to go into detail about slivers of glass in intestines so that he understood. Frozen or not, I just couldn't use food from a broken jar. Hope it never hurts you, I'd miss you. LOL

We were/are both strong, hard headed, individuals and we clashed often. We always settled our differences quickly, apologized where needed or not needed and loved each other.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the last arguments BJ and I had was over a broken glass quart jar of chicken dog food. he was going to use the contents and I Pitched a fit. I told him that I durned sure wouldn't feed it to him and he wasn't going to feed it to the dogs. Had to go into detail about slivers of glass in intestines so that he understood. Frozen or not, I just couldn't use food from a broken jar. Hope it never hurts you, I'd miss you. LOL

i'm not dead yet and i've done it probably about 20 times. i am very very careful and despite what Mom thinks i do know what i'm doing.

your comment about arguing and getting over it is very fitting as Mom and i will have our arguments too. like this morning she was spraying the window and side of the house where the box elder bugs were congregating. we have wood pieces for siding, there are cracks and also cracks around the windows. it's just not a good thing to be spraying the house at all, period. oh, and the eaves have wood on them that gets moldy, you really don't want to splash that either. i yelled at her to stop and finally she did. and besides the fact that spraying those bugs off doesn't kill them it just moves them to some other place. *rolls eyes and sighs* :) love her dearly, but some things she just doesn't get - i'm sure i'm the same way to her too. lol

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are always quarts of heat and serve stuff around here. Around here in the winter it would be to easy . Just put a pot on the wood heater in the morning of beans it's ready at supper time. Or open a jar of beef roast, a jar of onion, a jar of potatoes and a jar of carrots . Put on the heater a it will heat up .