A Little Backyard Homestead Project

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had my landlord over quick this morning, to have a look at my backyard drain, which is backing up again. He was delighted to see the new roses I bought :) I decided to be a bit cheeky and said to him I know you spent a lot of money on the house, but… I would love an arbor for the backyard, to put over the stone steps, so I can plant some rambling roses for it. But since I won't be taking it with me one day when I leave here… <hint hint> He thought about it for a few seconds and said "leave it with me" So, hopefully, I'll get to do that as well :) I think it would look amazing, but since this is not my property, I don't want to go overboard with spending on the garden. Plants and seeds I don't mind though. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather so I can get growing stuff back there now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That drain is a pain in the... anyway it's a pain! Can't wait to see your rambling roses climbing on an arbor!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I found the back shed!!!! My landlord told me there is one, but I never could see the dang thing. It was so overgrown at the back and when I went right to the back for other reasons, I clearly wasn't paying enough attention :hide

In my defence, can you see it here?
IMG_20180329_145400.jpg

It has some sturdy walls! Two entrances, one on the side and one in front and it's a very good size. I'm not great at guessing area, but VERY roughly, I'd estimate it's about 8 or 9 feet by 10-14 feet. Probably a bit bigger, it's hard to say, it's full of tree. I need to remove that tree growing in the middle of it and clean it out and get a roof on it and it would be perfect for chickens :)

Side wall… There is an entrance hidden here
IMG_20180329_145412.jpg

Inside and you can just see the other entrance to the front
IMG_20180329_145458.jpg

The side entrance. It's about 3 feet high, but I think with cleaning we can gain height
IMG_20180329_145518.jpg

It will be a big project cleaning this out, but the biggest part would be removing that tree… This will make an awesome chicken coop!

Last edited:

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me too sumi. I say you have your work cut out for you on this project.
Sounds like a great place for chickens :thumbsup

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's going to be awesome for chickens! Once I cleared the tree, cleaned it up and put a roof on it. I still can't believe it took me 7 months to find it. Now that I know what I'm looking at, I can see it clear as day of course.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, how cool! Not having to worry about snakes there, that would be a project I would absolutely LOVE! My kids and I uncovered a really old graveyard once that looked kind of like your back yard. When we first saw it, there was JUST enough to let us know something was there...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Now that is something I would love! Although perhaps not in my backyard! lol

I could see the walls of the shed, but though it was part of the back fence. It was only today when I went right to the back to check something that I turned and looked at it and spotted the opening on the side and investigated. Once I got the tree out it should be pretty straightforward from there. Hopefully!