A new adventure!!! JAM MAKING!!!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is CJ, Matthew's partner. I am posting this, my experience in making jam!

So, this morning, Matt and I went to get Asian Pears from a guy that he found selling them online. We went and spent time picking them with the guy and loading up a HUGE box and re-useable grocery bag with three different kinds of Asian pears. We paid a lot ($40) for what has to be about 50 pounds of fruit. So all in all, we got a good deal. I guess.

I was thinking, what on EARTH are we gonna do with all these pears?!?!? I looked online, and all the sites said that they do not freeze well, they go mushy. So I looked up a recipe for Pear Jam.

There is a shed on our property that has stuff in there from my family living here for 20+ years. I remembered that there was canning stuff in there. I went and got it, and put it all in the dishwasher. On super sanitizer, lol. Then I remembered where I saw some pint jars in another shed. Those went in there too. All in all, I had the canning pot, rack, 8 jars, rack and some REALLY old measuring cups.

I went to our local BIG BOX to get replacement lids for the jars that I had and of course got 24 new jars (I am NOT the kind of person to get all that stuff out and only make one batch!!! And headed home, I also got the pectin and huge amount of sugar you need for Jam making.

I sliced the pears in our new food processor and made the first batch. Things went well, and the jam has a really nice looking look in the jar, with the peels and slices.
Then the COOLEST thing happened!!!!! I was getting the next batch ready, after taking the first batch out of the water bath. They were cooling, then it happened!

POP!!!

It was the buttons on the lids popping down! Meaning they were nice and sealed!!! At that point, that is when I felt GREAT and that I was doing something that many people dont even they know they can do. I preserved fruit into something that lasts and actually makes GREAT gifts.

So now I am sitting here, the 22 jars (1/2 pinters) cooling over on the island, and I am SUPER excited about what I got accomplished! Yay me!!!
:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Isn't it exciting???? Canning is so satisfying! I love that the jars should sit for a day...give me an excuse to admire them longer. Then they need to be wiped and labelled...guess that means they need to sit for another day for more admiring!

Hey, I'm confused, are two people sharing an avatar? If so, sign up, buddy! Some of us are getting old and confuse easily!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just love hearing the ping noise as they seal.
Then staring at them, while they sit on the counter in preparation for labeling. Then there is the mandatory request to every one who visits: "you've gotta see my closet", as you open the door to your preserved goods. ;)

Congatulations!!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There is someone in Colorado selling you pick ASIAN PEARS?!??!?!

Please tell me he still has pears :D

I used the pears from our tree along with ground cherries from the garden to make jam. It just isn't enough to keep up with hubby and youngest son though.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There is someone in Colorado selling you pick ASIAN PEARS?!??!?!

Please tell me he still has pears :D

I used the pears from our tree along with ground cherries from the garden to make jam. It just isn't enough to keep up with hubby and youngest son though.
well, we did leave pears on the trees, but dunno if he still has them. plus, he only had the three trees, one of each kind :) I can give you his contact info if you'd like, he lives in northglenn

ALANB.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
GIRLS ; I have never canned anything in my life , but I'm striving to became "A Sufficient Self" and I wish to learn !!! give me some hands on hints ? by post and e-mail please . Thankyou ....... , ALANB. :)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ALANB. said:
GIRLS ; I have never canned anything in my life , but I'm striving to became "A Sufficient Self" and I wish to learn !!! give me some hands on hints ? by post and e-mail please . Thankyou ....... , ALANB. :)
Oh honey. I'm sorry. It must be so confusing for you! To just blithely assume that because someone posts about canning, and they are excited that it worked, that they must be female! Sorry darling, but my CJ, the man who hijacked my screenname long enough to make this thread, is anything but a girl. He may act like it on occasion, but girl he aint. If you'll look at the avatar that is a picture of both of us, taken at my birthday lunch which included both sets of parents ;) So, I would say my self sufficient hands on hint would be not to refer to a man as a woman ;)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Congrats on your canning experience! The "pop" is the best sound in the world! Me and my hubby (who is getting into the SS stuff and won't addmit it ) sit and giggle when we pull the jars out and they pop. When I ordered my stock pots he asked

"Why do you need such a big pot? We'll never use it."

"Babe....jeeelllllyyyy?"
"OH YEA- buy two." :gig

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good for you CJ. And yes like Free said you need to sign up so you don't have to do any more hijacking

After I take a batch out of the canner DW and I sit in the other room and with fingers crossed count the pops until they all go off and then I breath. It sure is a good feeling to hear them all go and know that the pantry cupboards will be filling up.

DW was never taught how to can but I helped my mother alot with canning so now before I pass it on to my kids I am teaching DW.