A New Garden Pond in the Pocono Mountains

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well that is good....The place should not make things change....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday, I removed about 5" of stone dust between the pond frame and the stone border and replaced it with river rock. I also put a cinder block on end for a hiding place and a platform for my dwarf lily when it arrives. Now, it is just a waiting game until the water temp reaches the indoor aquarium temp to introduce the fish...and, I have to finish that other project and get this area spruced up!

014-Apr_16.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a really pic of the set-up. It looks great! I can't wait to see it with the fish and all the trimmings added :pop

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today, I added a bit more top soil around the stone border and re-planted grass seed. The water temperature has already reached 65 degrees. Tomorrow, I am going to PetSmart and get a couple of cheap Goldfish. If they stay stable, I'll add my others from my indoor aquarium in a few days. I also bought a small water hyacinth and a miniature cattail plant today at a local nursery that has pond plants. You can see the tiny water hyacinth in the upper left of the pond in this pic. It will grow rapidly once the warm weather hits. You can also see the underwater Anacharis plant between the center spray and the water hyacinth. That should also grow rapidly once I have the fish in there since the plant thrives on the dissolved fish waste. The cattail I have in a bucket of water for now.
015-Apr_17.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very nice....Really beginning to look good....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At the same time, we're working on some slate paths....still a lot of work to do....leveling...filling in with smaller slates...then moving more soil in...we're trying to create a slight slope along the slate walkway to divert rain water from running under the shed where it washes soil through the foundation down to the lower level.....Yes, this old shed is two stories...you can only see 1 story from this angle.
002-Apr_17.jpg

003-Apr_17.jpg

Here's an old pic (before the wall and greenhouse) where you can see the shed is built into the hill with the lower portion somewhat visible.

My Pictures0043.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's all just beautiful. You really are working allot there....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Arrrgh...just got home from the store to find the chickens all making noise and safe in the coop. Thought I saw one still outside under a raspberry bush only to find it was a hawk standing over one of the new ones...dead.