A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slab presents issues but, your washer hose into the drain can often be easily hung into another drain line -- especially if in a garage or outside wall of house. Won't work for some, as aesthetics may make it less appealing but, if you ARE in an area with water issues/restrictions -- it is a ready source of otherwise wasted water. Think how many loads of laundry! Soaps -- while there may be a few that the plants would not like as well, for the most part the dilution and filtering thru the dirt the plants are in makes it less of a problem.

ME does have articles -- as you have found. This is a source for reusing water. I would thing areas of extreme arid or restrictions would jump on this -- no rains & no ability to collect.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I work for a plumbing/hvac company. I'm no plumber but I have helped those guys with a few repipe jobs. I'm not gonna relocate my washer to an exterior wall though. We spend around $130 a month on water in the summer. Heck with it. But I would set up rain catchment on my shed and house. And I'd love to drive a hand pump well just to do it!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It doesn't take much... But add the Palmolive orginal after you put in the water and don't shake it to make suds just carrying it around is mixing it up enough. I have a pump sprayer that holds two gallons of water and I use less than an 1/8 of a 52 oz bottle of Palmolive orginal and it works well. I've even filled up a fertilizer cup with palm olive orginal and hooked it up to a hose and sprinkler and that worked fantastic also.

I also put some Palmolive orginal and water in some squirt guns and let's the grand kids go to town on bugs in the garden. Super soaker is a blast for the kids.

That stuff worked like a charm. It kills cucumber Beatles too! Thanks for the tip.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180624_211821.jpg

7 quarts dill pickles
24 pints carrots
5 pints bread and butter pickles
8 half pints wild blackberry jam