A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well i cant complain. I got them for a good price. But they gonna lay some eggs or they are gonna get eaten.
We are almost out of rabbit and havent got any new broodstock yet so the chickens are gonna have to make ends meat. Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It makes sense. They have to feed you one way or another, you can't keep free loaders.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori that is good to know about the Silkies. We have a trio and I want to use their broodiness to raise chicks.

I love canning old layer hens. I usually make chicken salad with the canned meat. I drain off the broth, add celery, grapes cut in half, pecans and a little mayonnaise.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies are great for raising chicks. They don't eat much either because of size. If you're going to eat old ones eventually, just know that they have black meat and bones. Well the breast being lighter is more grey. They aren't as black as an ayam cemani.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some friends of mine asked me if i was getting any eggs. I tokd them we have been getting 1 a day since the temp change. They said they were getting the same since the temp change as well.

Tomorrow is lock down! 83 eggs in the incubator. I swear i heard a chirp tonight when i was changing the water pan in the incubator. Hopefully that was just a mouse in the shed. The brooder isnt even set up yet. Still need to get bedding, a new heat lamp bulb and starter feed.

It looks like the freezer will be just about empty when we get our first deer and chickens in there. I may take advantage and give it a good cleaning with some hot bleach water.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love to have an empty freezer right about now. We will pick up Wilbur the hog, 506 pounds hanging weight, real soon. Been eating a lot of meat, trying to make room. I have one freezer 3/4 empty and a neighbor's freezer on stand by.

Have you tried canning chicken? I cut the breast meat off and freeze it for stir fry, but can the rest.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned some old hens. Not bad!

Im gonna try to make some dog food this time from the organs and add some whole grain like rice or oatmeal.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have always heard that you shouldn't can anything with pasta, rice or that has flour for thickening. But I think the issue is loss of quality not actual danger of spoilage. I don't think the dog will mind if the rice gets mushy, lol.

Latest posts