A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I ride the coat tails of YOUR knowledge and research, lol. You've got proof that what you're doing is working and you can't beat that!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are your rabbit pens in a fixed location? It would be awesome if you could move them. Each time you move them, you leave behind a super, fantastic, delightful bed to grow the tastiest veggies!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No they are not. But that has crossed my mind

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you on blackland? Is it clay? Plant long root radishes, like Daikon, let them grow, die and rot in place. They will bust up the hard clay and the dead plant matter will feed worms. The hole the radish leaves will allow rain to penetrate the soil instead of running off.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you plant rye grass in the fall and let it grow tall, mow it in the spring and let it be mulch.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YAY for WORMS

YAY--because they leave poop...and aerate.

Rabbit poo compost - AND worms! That's great. Don't make me go out and get a couple of bunnies, lol. But, many, many years ago I had rabbit poo and it was really good stuff.

Do you know that comfrey is a ready to use green manure? AND it is one of few plants that will live after a lot of full strength chicken manure is poured on it. :eek: Plus it is an deep rooted accumulator. Just saying -- no bunnies needed if you grow this. :D My darned chickens liked it so much they ate all growing and dug the roots!! I'm starting more - away from them. It's a high protein forage, with a LOT of vit/min.

I love that all your hard work is now coming to fruition for you!! It's always a long road to bring all the elements into balance once Mother Nature has been assaulted.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My comfrey disappeared...not sure what got it - but it's gone. I need to see about getting some more crowns...

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you on blackland? Is it clay? Plant long root radishes, like Daikon, let them grow, die and rot in place. They will bust up the hard clay and the dead plant matter will feed worms. The hole the radish leaves will allow rain to penetrate the soil instead of running off.

No no, sand. Like i said its not a big deal, but i dont care for it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's right, you are on sand like we are. I sure like it better than black clay. But you can do the same with the radishes, it will build soil and give those bacteria something to feed on.

Latest posts