A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just had it out with the damn dog and literally drug his wet butt inside and made him lay on a blanket. Its cold and raining and tomorrow is supposed to be into the teens. Stubborn mutt

20190302_214240.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our german shepherd would love to be an outside only dog ... but he wants us outside with him! The other day I had to grab him by the collar and drag him inside - not easy on a 112 pound dog. But it was 32 degrees (F) and raining (no wind) and the temp was dropping. 4 hours after dragging him inside it was -1 degree (F) outside with the windchill.
Our 12 year old English Setter want inside as soon as I get home from work, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dog will sit in front of the wood stove all day. She has absolutely no cold tolerance. Short hair. And, she will stay in front of that stove and close enough to it so that her fur is HOT TO THE TOUCH.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My cat likes to sleep on the vents for the furnace. His fur smells like toast...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my dogs loves winter, he's part chow so he's all fluff. The other one, short haired hunting dog, freezes to death below 30. Or so she tries to convince you, lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just had it out with the damn dog and literally drug his wet butt inside and made him lay on a blanket. Its cold and raining and tomorrow is supposed to be into the teens. Stubborn mutt

View attachment 10050
Is this the dog that was missing awhile back? Or a new one? We have 2 Great Pyrenees, the female is NOT a house dog and NEVER wants to come in. The male LOVES to come in, but spends the night on the screened front porch, where he is happy. I stuff the female's dog house with hay and she stays toasty warm. I have a bed and blankets on the porch for the male. Dog Drama. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is this the dog that was missing awhile back? Or a new one? We have 2 Great Pyrenees, the female is NOT a house dog and NEVER wants to come in. The male LOVES to come in, but spends the night on the screened front porch, where he is happy. I stuff the female's dog house with hay and she stays toasty warm. I have a bed and blankets on the porch for the male. Dog Drama. LOL

He split for about a week. Since then we had another one. He split for a couple days, came back and then left altogether. I guess he found a better gig at a neighbors.

But yeah this one has been a darn good dog. Cant say enough good stuff about him. Good with kids, strangers, chickens, etc and hates coyotes.