A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good job!! Hey, throw some fresh cut to the chickens -- they love it and since not free ranging will really appreciate it. I used to do that with my pigs, also.

I have sweeper and a bag system. The bags were better for feeding....sweeper for mulch as it's dryer.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
carrots harvested and canned. even tried a few with a new recipe. glazed carrots.
20200606_184007.jpg
20200606_092825.jpg
20200606_103958.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a haul!! Great job there.

Sure it wasn't a "want to do" on those chickens after all day canning but -- got to do what ya got to do!! No need to waste that much meat because of "time". Good job.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are some beautiful carrots. Good job on canning them. Then on to the CCX!! Not something you planned on, but you did well anyway. Do you always package them whole or do you part them out? If you like them whole, you can save freezer room by spatchcocking them. You just cut out the backbone, along both sides, flatten them out, package and freeze. Then you aren't storing that hole in the middle of the bird. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are some beautiful carrots. Good job on canning them. Then on to the CCX!! Not something you planned on, but you did well anyway. Do you always package them whole or do you part them out? If you like them whole, you can save freezer room by spatchcocking them. You just cut out the backbone, along both sides, flatten them out, package and freeze. Then you aren't storing that hole in the middle of the bird. LOL

I was planning on only doing like 5 at a time and separating them and then making stock with what didn't get frozen. but this was unexpected so we took the easy way out. lol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

hey bay, can I replant carrots now for fall or can they not take the heat? should I wait til maybe september?

Latest posts