A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah I did. those dogs are pretty high dollar and he was very friendly. I'm betting he strolled across a stranger who thought he was a stray

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no sense crying over spilled milk.

thanks, tho.

I just got a new idea. when I bought the house there was an old hand pump for a shallow well sitting on the back porch. I watched a few videos and it seems it pretty cheap and kinda of easy (mentally) to drill your own shallow well with a hand pump. have any of you tried it? I REALLY want to do it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For me, water is too deep & I do have an unused hand pump here. Rainwater off my barn is a huge option! Will add some gutters and already have the barrels to use. This year the rain has been sufficient -- only had to water a couple times, short use. Not always that way! Summer isn't over...may do more watering but, near barn & hoses & outlets...besides, small garden THIS year. More plans for next.

Score on those jars!!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170727_182841.jpg

getting pretty frustrated with melons. these darn things get big and green, sit there about a month and then get these soft spots. so far every cantaloupe I have grown has went to the chickens unripe with soft brown areas. makes me want to mow the whole patch down and mulch it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
guess it ain't all bad. I haven't bought feed in a month and the feed barrel is still full.