A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170924_164051.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you get done, come build one at my house! We went to a poultry trades day an hour away on Saturday. Bought and paid for 8 pullets, with a free rooster. There was a couple of roosters in that cage, so the people took them out, added more, swapped around and we put them in pet carriers. We got home with TWO free roosters and total 11 chickens.

We got 5 Wellsummer pullets and 2 roosters, 1 RIR, 1 Cream Legbar, 1 Red Sexlink, and 1 reddish pullet ?? They are in the stock trailer.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have way too much to do before I can come work at your place. Gotta build some raised beds, a pig pen, another chicken coop, and plant trees......so maybe sometime in the winter.....of 2020. Lol

I'm hoping for a big hatch from the incubator! We have about 50 eggs in there. This pen will come in handy for sure

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you should hatch out some wellsummers! They bring good money

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good job on that pen! Wish I could fly you over to come build one for me quick. With my chickens' pen seemingly impossible to get into my backyard, I'm going to have to find my building skills soon it seems. Winter is coming on quick over here and I need my shed for wood. Only problem is, I'm not much of a builder lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only gave $10 each for the pullets. Maybe I'll finally build a coop on that boat trailer I got over a year ago......LOL

You have a list of projects too! It never ends!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see a white dog in one of the pics. Is that the one who disappeared a few months ago -- returned?

Like the coops, too. I do similar with my broodies but use a portable pen of PVC & hardwire plus a big vinyl doghouse. For ME it's easier. Plus I can repurpose all of it. After a couple weeks, the little families are allowed to free range and penned at night as they return to "their" coop. when mom abandons them, the chicks still go back at night. Then, it's a grow out. LOL