A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might think about a gas cook stove and an outside propane tank. Then run lines to the stove and wall hanging heater. You can rent a propane tank until you can buy one. My next house will be set up for propane and a wood burning heater. No more all electric for this gal.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it crossed my mind and I could plumb it all in, but Its a large investment or another monthly bill. I have a feeling we are gonna need less bills soon....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the idea of an outside cook stove. I had considered picking up a little tiny cast iron LP stove, but... I bet I could pick up a standard size stove for about the same $$. And, it'd be fantastic for canning. I'd LOVE to have a "summer kitchen". Might be able to make one out of pallets and scavenged materials for a song and a dance. Could even put a "shower room" in the same building.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the idea of an outside cook stove. I had considered picking up a little tiny cast iron LP stove, but... I bet I could pick up a standard size stove for about the same $$. And, it'd be fantastic for canning. I'd LOVE to have a "summer kitchen". Might be able to make one out of pallets and scavenged materials for a song and a dance. Could even put a "shower room" in the same building.
oh that sounds nice. it would be so great for canning too

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it crossed my mind and I could plumb it all in, but Its a large investment or another monthly bill. I have a feeling we are gonna need less bills soon....
In that case, a tank full of propane would keep the house warm and you could cook.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all i can say is be careful with those! i just see stuff in the news too often about people not being careful enough or having the right ventilation for those and they end up burning their place down or suffocating.

we have a big tank here of propane and that will usually last us 7-8 weeks of heating. we don't use it for anything else other than the fireplace and we don't use that often because it is a pain in the butt and actually pulls a lot of air into the house through any leaks so it won't heat the whole house. in an emergency it will keep us from freezing to death and we can warm up food and drinks with it and that is good enough for us. in the future if i stick here i've thought about replacing the fireplace with an actual insert and at least one stove top spot to warm up something for food/drinks and then it won't suck so much air in through the walls and could probably heat this place (it is small here). there are certainly better units than what we have.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finally got around to hanging them up. the wife will be thrilled
20210306_151551.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finally got around to hanging them up. the wife will be thrilledView attachment 15553

congrats!

i can't read them, you must be a doctor... j/k! j/k! :) but i still can't read them. all i'm seeing for sure are some mechanics certifications and a plumbers.

seeing that name a first i thought you were also a NASCAR driver.

Latest posts