A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will have extra CP when I dismantle the old coop. I already have an 8 x 8 CP coop that hubby built for me last fall that I use for night time duck house. They spent the winter in that. It's too heavy to move w/o putting it on 2" PVC rollers. I would have to buy a bender.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen them at Lowes, home depot, etc... just never had a project big enough to justify buying one. But, like anything else, if you have it, then you have plenty of use for it!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got an outdoor kitchen set up for canning. cant believe i waited this long to do it
20210626_201433.jpg
20210626_210843.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm wondering about how many pounds (weight) they are rated for, and if the heat distribution and intensity is such that it can be safely regulated for pressure canning. I've been wanting to buy one for years, but have not done so yet, b/c of my questions regarding that matter. They make a cast iron, single burner that is as rugged as all get out that sells for less than $50.oo. I may visit the ? "Rebel canner" site to see if anyone pressure cans outside, what they use, and what they have to say about canner pressure and flame regulation in breezy conditions. Then, there's the issue of removing the jars after the canning session. Wondering if breezy conditions might make the jars subject to thermal cracking. @Chic Rustler I can't wait to hear how your canning experience goes with this.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm wondering about how many pounds (weight) they are rated for, and if the heat distribution and intensity is such that it can be safely regulated for pressure canning. I've been wanting to buy one for years, but have not done so yet, b/c of my questions regarding that matter. They make a cast iron, single burner that is as rugged as all get out that sells for less than $50.oo. I may visit the ? "Rebel canner" site to see if anyone pressure cans outside, what they use, and what they have to say about canner pressure and flame regulation in breezy conditions. Then, there's the issue of removing the jars after the canning session. Wondering if breezy conditions might make the jars subject to thermal cracking. @Chic Rustler I can't wait to hear how your canning experience goes with this.
the burners will each feed up to 60k btus. thats WAY too much for my pressure canner. i just dont turn it up all the way. you can tell by the jiggler. a slow rock is still a slow rock. lots of people can outside i wouldnt worry about wind

worked well. i wouldnt be afraid to put two canners on it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. My canner has a pressure ga. I start it on my largest kitchen burner, then have to move it to the mini burner on the back of the stove. Even then, with the burner turned all the way back, I have a hard time keeping the pressure low enough. I hate to lift that full canner... but... my stove is what it is!

Latest posts