A Ruckus in the house!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just over 3 weeks ago we picked up a foster greyhound, Miriam of Ruckus. When we got home with her, our tripod kitty, Casey, immediately began grooming her, licking her ears and chewing on her. I guess she is truly a cat-safe greyhound:) Dixie had a very calm and happy look on her face. I took Miriam to meet the potential adopter. Unfortunately, the person was not able to adopt Miriam. She was scheduled to head back down to Milwaukee (because there aren't that many adoptions up here), but Dixie decided that she should stay. She will be 4 years old next month.

Meet Miram:
081.jpg

Dixie sharing the couch with her new sister:
040-2.jpg

Miriam is quite shy, but Dixie does help her get over her fears of meeting new people which is counter intuitive, because Dixie is just as shy on her own when it comes to meeting new people. We were in Door County a couple weeks ago, and they both did well meeting new people. I think Miriam wanted to find out if sea gulls tasted like chicken though:rolleyes:

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I love the name Miriam of Ruckus. I always think of Miriam as being a very sweet, quiet and helpful sort of personality but when you throw Ruckus in there... she's going to be a personality for sure!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You do realize you have two ponies laying on your couch? :D

They are beautiful. I love greyhounds. The ones I have met are soooooo sweet!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
DIXIE decided she needed to stay? :gig
Yep she did. Actually, a majority of the time, female greyhounds tend to be "itchy" and alpha. On the rare occasion there is a dog fight, it is usually the females doing the fighting. There has been no arguing between them, just an occasional "stop stepping on me!" growl. Actually, the night we picked her up, Dixie let Miriam lay up tight against her. She had a very "happy look" on her face. We haven't had two greyhounds of our own since 2007.

Our last female (before Dixie) was an alpha female. Luckily, she showed her "alphaness" through body language and not through teeth. When we were living in Madison years ago, we babysat the neighbors lab and cocker. Scarlett did not allow the cocker on the furniture (the lab was too overweight to jump on the furniture) until late in the stay; then she let her have just one chair :rolleyes: She deterred her with only her body language. Scarlett did let fresh boys where to go in no uncertain terms though!

I think they will continue to get along fine.