A Small problem with my canning ;)

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just cut the wood for a 6' long by 2' tall x 14" deep cabinet which I am building for my cellar canning storage. This will be mounted to the side of the stairs that go into the cellar and will have legs made into shelving to store my canning supplies.

Because I am making it myself, I made it a little deeper than normal so I can fit three quarts deep, or four pints deep. I wanted four quarts deep, but the wood was salvaged so I had to design it to fit my wood. There is this company I pass by often that has lots of scrap they put out. The last time, I brought home three boards of baltic birtch plywood (the good stuff) Out of that, I am able to make both ends and the two center dividers inside the cabinet. I will have to buy a little bit to make the three doors, but the main case was all free! I want to swing out there again to see if I can source up more plywood to make the shelves too.

The cabinet will have three sections, and three doors. The center cabinet will have just one shelf to hold all quart jars where the end cabinets will have two shelves. The top two are spaced to fit pint jars and the bottom will hold quarts. It's a tight fit, less than an inch in height and half an inch width for the quart jars!

My wife has told me I really have to give her the entire four foot cabinet I have "borrowed" back to her. We plan to keep one or two of each product in the kitchen and everything else will go in the cellar storage cabinet. I mean, we really do not "need" 12 quarts of chicken soup in the kitchen, right? ;)

I will, of course, post photos when I am done! ;)

PS: for now, here is a photo of the kitchen when I built the lower cabinets from scratch. (yes, door, drawers, and frame work.)

kitchen-39.jpg