A Wedding, a New House, and a Farm

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello All,
This is the beginning of my journaling journey. A place where I can keep track of the progress of my homestead-to-be, as well as a place to learn and ask questions. In August, my fiancé Mr. M and I got married. We spent this entire year (gasp!) :th searching for a place worthy of being called "our forever home". Or for goodness sake, at least something that had potential! After traveling for the last few years through multiple different states hoping to find this place, we ended up right back where we started! We are Pennsylvania natives and wanted a change of scenery. However, after nearly a dozen trips, we learned to appreciate all that PA had to offer. This would also mean that we were settling closer to family, which was a big relief to both sets of parents!
Now, we are in the process of purchasing our first home together in northeast PA. The property couldn't be closer to what we've been looking for! It is an open 18 acres of usable land. Our closing date is set for February 8th. The property does not have any outbuildings, with the exception of an enclosed carport. Most devastatingly to me, it also does not have a fireplace or a woodstove. The addition of a woodstove will be one of the first improvements this summer, after adding a generator. One of the best features is the walk-out basement, turned apartment, with a fully finished kitchen. I see a homestead profit in our future!
Now, a word on Homesteading. I have been making plans for the plants that will be grown, and animals that will be raised. Our first hurdle will be fencing (there isn't any :barnie), building chicken coops, and other matters of infrastructure. Then deciding what breeds of chickens, what variety of fruit trees, the list goes on and on. It is quite exciting, and I am thrilled to be able share this journey with all of you (and finally contribute to this forum)!
Thanks for reading along,
SustainableAg :)

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No house or land pictures yet, but here are some pictures of our loyal companions. The all black Shepherd is Maverick, and the black and tan Shephers pup is Liberty. Also including some pictures of the winter scene on the drive to our new house. 20181201_204826.jpg 20181023_215935.jpg 20181218_151949.jpg 20181218_151709.jpg20181218_151445.jpg

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Christmas cookie madness is officially over! On Friday I made 2 dozen chocolate chip, 2 dozen oatmeal raisin, 2 dozen soft sugar cookies, and 2 dozen chocolate chocolate chip. On Saturday I made 2 dozen snowball/nut puff, and about 8 dozen gingerbread cookies. Then with help from my Mom, Dad and Hubby later in the day, made 4 dozen cream cheese spritz, and 10 dozen cutout sugar cookies. I'll be glad to never see another christmas cookie until next year! Today, I divided all of the cookies into cute containers for each family. Then Hubby and I went over and helped to decorate my MIL and step-FIL's Christmas tree. They are behind this year with decorating, so we offered to help. The tree turned out beautifully.
20181223_121428.jpg 20181223_121417.jpg 20181223_121415.jpg 20181223_162216.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule -- you're right, it's about time. I am waiting for 2 things. Weather to clear up and my heaviest work schedule slacks back down in June. Then, I will have time to devote to hugging & training. :) Summer will find me a new buddy. This time, may go with a bigger breed :idunno Just depends on who falls my way -- :caf
I am a believer in "things fall into place" and they do. When it is right, it will happen.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another busy few weeks here. Finally finished the pile of boxes in the main part of the basement, and hung some pictures. The house is feeling much home "homey" these days. The basement bedroom is still filled to the brim with boxes, but those are hubby's problem. I will contribute (a little), but I did most of the unboxing and decorating.
Last week, we had two gorgeous 60* days. I built some chick fencing from Premier1 and started a compost pile, while Mr. M started my mobile chicken coop.
This past weekend, we had my family over to visit. It brought some much needed life to our home. On Saturday, my family came up to visit my brother (the one away at college), who was spending the weekend with us. On Sunday, I made a big brunch of bacon, lemon pancakes with blueberry compote, tater tots, and scrambled eggs for my family to enjoy. They all left at 3 when my brother decided to head back to college.
We had a huge flock of songbirds migrate into our fields this weekend. I don't know if this is a typical Spring happening, but it sounded like a bird sanctuary out there! Pretty amazing.
Today, I had a fencing contractor come out to give us an estimate on a chain link fence in the backyard for our pups, and pasture fencing for a 10-ish acre field. Waiting on the estimate for the pasture - as he needed pictures of the fencing type that I wanted to accurately price it out. I wish I had the know-how to do it myself, because this will undoubtedly be expensive if he does it.
Also had the septic pumped and inspected today, and was given the all-good on that, which is a relief.
Tomorrow, a woodstove company is coming at 9am to install the chimney pipe and lay the bluestone for the woodstove to sit on. They will return on the 26th to do stone work on the wall, install the mantel, and install the woodstove. :woot

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FEM, I originally thought about making raised beds, or doing container gardening. If I had the resources immediately available, I would much rather do that than pick hundreds of rocks out of a 30'x50' garden plot once it is plowed. I will probably have enough rocks to build a small decorative wall or path by time I've picked the most troublesome rocks out. I will probably pick rocks for years before it is a perfect gardening plot.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful! I also feel a bit like I stumbled into a storybook when I see a snowy landscape :) Probably because I haven't seen it for real for most of my life!

Those cookies sound yum! On the margarine, I read something the other day, I wish I copied the source, about margarine, saying it's nearly plastic! That was scary... Made me glad I switched to eating butter instead, though that is not an option for you unfortunately.

You made me smile. I must live in a storybook 6 months of the year!!! But, it sure does feel real when I'm snowblowing it and it's blowing back in my face. I usually have to spend 2 hours snowblowing AFTER the plow guy has come and done our driveway.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here are today's batch of cookies. Chocolate chip, Oatmeal Raisin, and my experimental batch of Chocolate chocolate chip with lard! Those that tried them liked them well enough, but did notice that something was slightly off. I added cocoa powder to them, as I was slightly apprehensive myself. Not bad! I noticed that they held their shape better than the plain chocolate chip that were made with butter. 20181221_122518.jpg 20181221_143920.jpg 20181221_143917.jpg 20181221_143913.jpg Also pictured is a small batch of soft sugar cookies (not cutouts) from yesterday.