A Wedding, a New House, and a Farm

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I started using bananas in my smoothies instead. Cheaper than berries by quite a lot. If I find berries marked down, I buy a whole lot and put them in the freezer. Chopped up strawberries, frozen, then thawed, is amazing in smoothies!

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am worried about our pasture, because we have hundreds of buttercups that poked up over the last few weeks. That is not a plant that you want in a field where animals will be grazing. I honestly have no idea how to mitigate a buttercup infestation; especially spread over large acreage. Our neighbor said the field didn't have buttercups last year, but that doesn't help us this year.

All of the surrounding farms are plagued by buttercups as well. From what I understand, once the buttercups are dried into hay, they are no longer toxic. I know animals will selectively graze around them, but that is difficult when most of the field is covered. I'm hoping our local Ag extension might have some further information.

I've been trying to do more research about them, but haven't come up with much yet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do your neighbors do to get rid of the buttercups?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We broke sod on our garden 3 years ago - only to find out it was a garden area about 10 years ago and the previous owners used landscape fabric to keep down the weeds. I am still picking landscape fabric out of the garden - but we are down to little 4" pieces.
Glad you got a chance to meet your neighbors. Good neighbors are a blessing.

Good luck getting the rocks picked from the garden area.

That is why I so despise landscape fabric. It does not break down. Where ever it is used, it is likely to come back and haunt the land owner in the end. I'm fond of cardboard if an area needs heavy duty protection from weeds. It breaks down, amends the soil. Worms are fond of cardboard also!