A Wedding, a New House, and a Farm

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the marriage! And finding your "right" place too. Looking forward to pics ;) and progress updates.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Yes, there is a house on top of said basement. The only immediate updates are for the outside - fencing, garden placement, and such.
@baymule We are moving an hour north of our current location. I am very familiar with certain towns in the area, but not much knowledge about what kind of predator population we could see. I agree with you about the gate sizes! I have worked on horse farms as a full time job for most of my life. Always hated the fields where the gate couldn't accommodate the JD Gator!

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No house or land pictures yet, but here are some pictures of our loyal companions. The all black Shepherd is Maverick, and the black and tan Shephers pup is Liberty. Also including some pictures of the winter scene on the drive to our new house. 20181201_204826.jpg 20181023_215935.jpg 20181218_151949.jpg 20181218_151709.jpg20181218_151445.jpg

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was a very whimsical experience, like something out of a storybook! Unfortunately it was due to an ice storm, but it was pretty nonetheless. We have had an exceptionally unusual winter thus far. Expecting 60* tomorrow!
Baking Christmas cookies this weekend to give away to the extended family. We make 7 different kinds: sugar cookies (cut out and decorated with sprinkles, not icing), gingerbread cookies, snowball cookies (AKA Russian Tea Cakes), oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, 7 layer bars, and peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies. This year, the peanut butter cookies have been traded out for a peanut butter fudge crumb bar. We tried the recipe for the first time last year, and Mr. M and his stepdad fell in love with them. They will become a permanent fixture of our cookie collection.
Sadly, I have developed a fairly severe dairy allergy over the last 2 years, and cannot have it in any form. This led me to do some research, and I might try my hand at making a small batch of chocolate chip cookies with lard. I have never attempted to bake with lard for something so sweet. I have used it and perfected a pie crust recipe. Keeping my fingers crossed that I like the results, as I really dislike using margarine. :fl

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful! I also feel a bit like I stumbled into a storybook when I see a snowy landscape :) Probably because I haven't seen it for real for most of my life!

Those cookies sound yum! On the margarine, I read something the other day, I wish I copied the source, about margarine, saying it's nearly plastic! That was scary... Made me glad I switched to eating butter instead, though that is not an option for you unfortunately.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is exactly why I dislike margarine! I eat a fairly clean diet, with some cheating every now and then - especially around the holidays. My substitute since I discovered butter was a no-go has been coconut oil. It can be easily used for some recipes, but certainly not all. I would much prefer an animal fat. Time to experiment!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, and please share what you discover! I have recently developed an intolerance to dairy and am trying to change eating habits (and my husband is allergic to almonds so almond milk is out, fun! Lol)

I have lots of lard I must render too...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful! I also feel a bit like I stumbled into a storybook when I see a snowy landscape :) Probably because I haven't seen it for real for most of my life!

Those cookies sound yum! On the margarine, I read something the other day, I wish I copied the source, about margarine, saying it's nearly plastic! That was scary... Made me glad I switched to eating butter instead, though that is not an option for you unfortunately.

You made me smile. I must live in a storybook 6 months of the year!!! But, it sure does feel real when I'm snowblowing it and it's blowing back in my face. I usually have to spend 2 hours snowblowing AFTER the plow guy has come and done our driveway.