A Wedding, a New House, and a Farm

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you! That is a 12 foot tree. It smells amazing! I can't wait to have our own real tree next year.
Funny story: Mr. M and I moved into a house rental in Spring of 2016. It was an old farmhouse built in 1850. The place was a nightmare (as was the landlord), and nothing ever seemed to go right while we lived there. Fast forward to Christmas there in 2016, we went to get our first real tree together. Brought it home, put it in the base, put lights on it, and couldn't get it to stand upright. It then fell over onto Mr. M. We left our rental, drove 35 minutes to my parents house to borrow their base at 2200. Arrived back to our rental at 2300, and realized we had both left our keys inside. Landlord was 30 minutes away, and probably asleep. So, Mr. M broke the double paned front door, and Maverick (black German Shepherd) starts barking. We walk in, the glass shatters all over the enclosed porch, and Maverick is nowhere to be seen. I walk into the house to find Maverick, calling his name repeatedly. He ran upstairs to hide in our bedroom (this is a Shepherd that has never been afraid to stand anyone down), and upon hearing my voice a few times, peaks his head around the corner upstairs. While I am cleaning up the glass from the porch, Maverick comes over to check things out. Mr. M starts to help me tape up black garbage bags to the door, as it was 22* that night. Suddenly, Maverick throws up not once, not twice, but 3 times between the porch and the living room. The poor dog was so scared, he lost the entirety of his stomach contents. The next day, we go to the Depot Cheap-O to buy a new front door. $500 later, we had a new door, and a Christmas tree. Good times. :lol::th

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my word! Crazy times, but at least you can look back on it and laugh now!

Those cookies and the tree looks wonderful, but yeah, too much of a good thing (even cookies) is not always wonderful! I'll bet they are going to be enjoyed very, very much though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow - that's a great story now that it's a couple years later - probably not so much fun while it was happening!!

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We definitely laugh about it now. It wasn't so funny then. However, it made for a memorable Christmas!
My Mother and I are the most practiced bakers in the extended family, so it is almost expected of us to bring cookies to the family functions. It is a nice title to hold though, and we do so proudly. :)

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate! Had a very nice visit with the extended family today, and finally unloaded all of those cookies. Received many needed items for the new house, as well as a bunch of books about everything farm related. I can't wait to start reading!
It'll give me something to do while we wait for our closing date on the house to approach. I'm starting to get antsy thinking about everything that needs to be done. I can't wait to start cleaning the house and getting things organized. We have lived with my parents for the last 8 months while we house hunted. We are very grateful, and they are sad to see us go, but it will be a welcomed change for everyone. Can you say claustrophobic!? :barnie

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too! Really cool that you got great stuff for your future home and the books will likely be an extremely valuable resource!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you too! Books are wonderful and those sound like the perfect presents for you guys this year :) Sorry if you already told us, but when is the closing date on the house?

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The closing date is February 8th, and quickly approaching! We couldn't be more excited. Then I can take land pictures and give all of you an idea of what we have to work with.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thinking this morning about the farm products that we would like to market. The PA Cottage Food Laws allow me to bake certain items in my own kitchen, as long as they do not require refrigeration and are considered non-hazardous. Items such as cookies, brownies, fruit pies, and bread. I may also can certain high acid foods, as well as jams and jellies. I will have to explore the market for these items in my area, but I think I may have found myself a niche! There are two family farms within a 10 minute drive. One of them specializes in everything to get started with chickens, and the other specializes in grass fed, heritage breed chickens, and occasionally pigs. There are other farms in the area, but most of them are about 30-40 minutes away. As far as I can tell, the closest farmers market is that same distance away. It is located in a small town, so I will have to visit the market come summer and see what it is all about.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good idea to do some pre-planning and reconnaissance now! Do you have access to fruits for jellies and jams - or are you planning to grow your own?