A WHOLE LOT OF FROZEN BLUEBERRIES...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi folks, i have maybe 40-50 qts of frozen blueberries. I'm in the process of downsizing my freezer storage for a couple reasons.Fear of a power outage and the cost of running the freezer yr round. i don't own a generator, and if the poop hits the fan, thiers no gaurentee(sp)one will be able to get fuel to run one. So this is why i want to can more, freeze less...
My question, whats the simplist way for me to can these blueberries in qt jars...? Do i have to use a ton of sugar? I know i must thaw them. Do i save the juice as they thaw and use it for canning the berries...?
I'm thinking like pie filling kinda end product, i know i have to use sugar, just wish i could find some lower sugar tastey recipes.
Does anyone here can blueberries, if so how do you do it, what else could i do with them besides making pie filling or jam...? thanks..Kevin

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'd can some in small jars for pancakes, etc. Wish I had blueberries here. Don't they can them just in juice? or just a little sugar more for flavor?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can use just plain water if you want.

or very light syrup
is about 7 cups water to 1 cup sugar

light is 6 cups water to 2 cups sugar

medium is 6 cups water to 3 cups sugar

what ever your taste level is. the numbers above should fill about 7 to 9 pint sized----double it for about 9 quart size

also be sure to add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into each pint jar. this helps spoilage.

hope some of this helps you.

Also you are smart to can vs. rely on freezer cause in case of real emergencies, the canned stuff is there and waiting! :)

AND MAY I SAY---oh my I want all your blueberries. YUM...they are the top best fruit for your body! eat away!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Idburton and Karen...
Karen your syrup recipes are very helpful, i like the sound of the light syrups. Hot water bath i suppose, i'll have to check my Ball Bluebook...Hey, if you guys want to come all the way to L.I.N.Y. i'll give ya some berries....:) thanks again, Kevin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm there...you never have to ask me twice where blueberries are involved.

oh yes just follow your normal canning situation--hot bath for them in your book.

I don't like things loaded with sugar. So I do with less all the time. Since I cut back on refined sugar and such almost everything is too sweet :) (but not me..HA HA)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
since were talking bout blue berries im going to plant some this spring. what type do you suggest? and dont say the blue ones!!! :lol:

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol...Karen,your too funny..:)I'll have 'em packed up and waiting for ya...! Me too,with the sugar thing, i try to use less when i can..
Firem3, there are probably varieties in your area better suited to what i have. I think down south those big " Rabbiteye " blueberries are popular, there so big they call them rabbiteyes...I have some Bluecrop, Jersey(something or other) and i think Blueray...not positive...i'm no expert on blueberries, but do okay...I mulch with a thick layer of oak leaves, it keeps them moist and they love acid.They get allot of acid as the leaves breakdown and decay..It does wonders for keeping weeds under control as well..i remulch every fall after the leaves fall..
Bluberries grow kinda slow, so find the biggest plants you can afford and you'll have more berries , sooner... It's just dumb luck how i got an instant blueberry patch, i happen to be in the right place at the right time...! About 4-5 yrs ago i stopped in at a local nursery, they had about 35-40 blueberry bushes 3-5 ft tall..they were on sale, fall clearance for 50% off of $23.00... $11.50 each, they were very healthy , full bushes, i took 36 of them and had an instant blueberrie patch...I have them very well protected from birds and deer...starting the next spring, and every year since i've been harvesting from 40-60 qts...! I think i feed them once with Hollytone, and all natural food for acid loving plants..
You know, every fall i go look around early before the sales start, and i have never seen such a deal as the one i found again.The plants are more expensive and not such good looking plants...
Shop around for nice strong plants, look for good fall deals, check a bunch of nurseries around you if you have them, and above all, if you see a god deal, grab them, cause they'll likely be gone if you think about to long...Remember, the bigger, more mature plants will produce more, and you don't have to wait for this slow growing plant to give you goodies..
Your local nursuries will carry the right varieties for your area...good luck...
PS....don't ask me about pruning them, i haven't once yet, don't plan on it either, there producing like crazy, so if it ain't broken, don't fix it...all i do i cut out dead wood..:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You might wanna do a small batch first, maybe even split it (do half in water-plus-the-thawing-juice, half in a light syrup made with the thawing juice) and see which you prefer (of course that means having to open two of the jars but I feel certain you will find something to do with 'em <g>). Reason being, everyone's taste is different, also people differ in how they feel about the texture of fruits canned in just water. Be a shame to do a giant canning extravaganza and then decide you shoulda done it different :)

Canned blueberries are fine for cobblers, grunts, that sort of thing, if you get tired of pie or it's too much work. Also syrup for pancakes and french toast and suchlike.

And may I say, <drool> at the thought of all them blueberries. Wow :)

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I planted 8 blueberry bushes this year. I was told it would be 2-3 years before they yield any berries. :(

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat for the excellent advice, now why didn't i think of that..? lol
Because i'm the new kid on the block learning about canning, thats why...lol So a small test batch or two it will be..:)