A WHOLE LOT OF FROZEN BLUEBERRIES...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
your welcome Firem3....good luck and happy hunting, there may still be some good deals around now..If your in no rush, and keep looking, you'll find some decent plants sooner or later at a good price....Kevin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Duppy

you said you have them well protected from deer. that is my problem here. I have 30 acres at my other farm I want to build on later in life....but I wanted to start some orchard trees and such...blueberries too over there.....but leaving them with the deer would be a nightmare.

what do you do?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Duppy

you said you have them well protected from deer. that is my problem here. I have 30 acres at my other farm I want to build on later in life....but I wanted to start some orchard trees and such...blueberries too over there.....but leaving them with the deer would be a nightmare.

what do you do?
You could run electric fence... there are some arrangements (involving width not just height) that are reasonably deerproof, i.e. unless the deer are seriously abundant or seriously hungry and even then it will at least decrease the number that get in. The charger (battery or BIG solar) would be the biggest cost.

Pat

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Karen,i'd follow Pats advice, as i don't have anywhere near that kind of acrage you have. I have a patch closed in with 4x4 post and deer netting then bird netting over that...! You'd spend an unthinkable amount of money trying to do the same thing.You need to go with some kind of electric fencing, which i know nothing about..sorry i couldn't be much help...Kevin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks pat and kevin

I tried solar chargers a few times, they stink....mine always seem to get hit by lightening surge or something goes wrong fast. the internal boards etc. are a price nightmare to replace all the time.

even with the 30 acres I could do a smaller blueberry patch and use fence, deer netting and bird netting.....wow....that is a fortress for the bushes...but with those critters, you sure need a fortress or they eat it all.

:)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
given the price duppy posted i think i just found the deal of the week, me and a friend share crop our gardens with each other and we recently went on the hunt for the blueberry bushes and fruit trees, well we found all kinds of apple, pear peach and plum trees that were around 6' tall for 15 bucks each and all blueberry bushes for the south east for $6.95 each. we bought several and there were several more. anybody in alabama they are at Arab nursery beside the John Deer store.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Firem3 thats a good price if there a decent sized bush, how big are they...? Even if there not 2-3 ft tall, thats a cheap enough price. It'll just take a bit longer for good production if there small plants.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they are around 3' tall and very healthy looking bushes

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a good deal to me Firem3....!

Latest posts