A2A2 milk

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I could find some good, fresh goats milk to try. Though I doubt that DH would be tempted. He says NO GOATS! EVER! NO NO NO. lol
Growing up, we had a friend that had a small herd of dairy goats because someone in the family couldn't drink cows milk. I tried theirs once and it was horrible. I could barely get past the smell of it, just horrid. He had all his goats in one small, bare dirt area. Does, kids and bucks all together. And pigeons in the attic of the goat barn.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I could find some good, fresh goats milk to try. Though I doubt that DH would be tempted. He says NO GOATS! EVER! NO NO NO. lol
Growing up, we had a friend that had a small herd of dairy goats because someone in the family couldn't drink cows milk. I tried theirs once and it was horrible. I could barely get past the smell of it, just horrid. He had all his goats in one small, bare dirt area. Does, kids and bucks all together. And pigeons in the attic of the goat barn.

well i certainly like goat's milk cheeses so i'm not sure what the problem might have been for you about their milk, but perhaps it was just not what you were used to or was there something else that bothered you about it?

i used to live with someone who drank it and it was ok to me, but i didn't drink much milk then, i much more preferred to turn it into yogurt.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer : It's perfectly understandable that the goats milk from such a situation would have been absolutely horrid. My understanding is that having a buck any near lactating does will ruin the flavor of their milk. And, if those goats were in such horrid conditions, their milk just couldn't have been good. Now... take away the bucks, put the does on good pasture, be sure they haven't just freshened, and get that pigeon poop out of their diet, and you might have actually enjoyed that milk. I've had goat milk (a long time ago) from a doe who had freshened not too long ago, and IIRC, I found it to be just fine.

thistlebloom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was the milkmaid at our house when I was growing up. We had Nubians and Saanens. The only time I remember our milk being an off flavor was once when we got some bad grain, and another time when I was a teen and left the milk out for a couple hours after milking having been distracted from my duties (blonde here). I remembered and snuck it in for filtering and cooling hoping mom wouldn't be the wiser. That made kind of a funky bottle of milk so my plan didn't work out so well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When milking, my does get alfalfa every day. Yes, not getting it into cold ASAP will not help the taste.....as @thistlebloom found. I have Saanen & Nubian (pure & Xbred) also. Personally I find it makes great milk -- xbreds give plenty of milk with good amounts of butterfat. Feed makes a difference in quantity and taste.

Latest posts