acne remedies

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For anyone who suffers from acne breakouts or allergy-related skin conditions I always recommend getting rid of all body products and reducing one's personal cleansing routine down to the simplest methods.

Washing with coconut oil works very well to balance the complexion and keep it from drying out or becoming too oily. Same with with hair care products--I use a very mild natural shampoo from the natural foods store, coconut oil on only the ends of my hair, and no styling products.

There are several books out there about the ingredients in most personal care products that are very eye-opening, the ingredients are not at all good for you. You can also google "dirty dozen cosmetics ingredients" for a real eye-opening read that will make you change your habits pretty quickly.

Many of the most common ingredients in personal care products are actually quite bad for you, whether on their own or in combinations with other ingredients that produce new dangerous compounds (some of which are linked to cancers). Some of these ingredients like parabens act in the body like estrogen, they are called hormone-disruptors and seriously get your system out of whack (many soy products do this as well). And don't even get me started on make-up, some of which still to this day contains lead, not to mention the huge loads of bacteria that start to breed in makeup products from the first moment you use them.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
<-----This little frog doesn't wear any make up.. ever.. ;) due to allergies. and loves coconut oil for all kinds of things. coconut oil and beeswax and a bit of flavor(like spearmint) makes the best lip balm ever.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
<-----This little frog doesn't wear any make up.. ever.. ;) due to allergies. and loves coconut oil for all kinds of things. coconut oil and beeswax and a bit of flavor(like spearmint) makes the best lip balm ever.
Me neither :)

I tried it out in Jr. High (my Mom bought my first makeup for me actually) but it gave me rashes and red eyes so I quit pretty quickly. Turns out to have been the best thing I've ever done--I'm in my early 40s now and have literally NO wrinkles.

Yet the people I know who buy all the expensive facial cleansers and wear makeup and creams all day long have crows feet and all kinds of other facial wrinkles at ages much younger than me.

:)celebrate)

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have had problems with acne as well. Some zits have been really painful. I've experimented in detail on what causes break outs at my own expense. Sodas, sweets, stress, lack of sleep, fast food, a bad diet, too many sugary drinks (ex. sweet tea, juices, etc.), really acidic fruits like kiwis, caffeine, and more can all cause breakouts (at least for me). I experimented on these one at a time for two weeks on, two weeks off. With sodas in my diet, I had 5+ blemishes. Without, I had less than three blemishes. Same with many of the other factors mentioned. My hormones have caused me to break out as well. I've used Pro-Active and almost 10 other products similar to it. None of them are worth using. Here is what works for me: I have cut out all of the breakout causer-s previously mentioned, I take a multivitamin every other day, I drink lots of water, I wash my face with soap at least 3 times a day and apply lotion afterwards, I eat "good" fruit everyday (usually either bananas, plums, peaches, or strawberries; oranges once in a while but no more than twice a week, no kiwis or such at all). I am outside everyday absorbing sun shine and fresh air. I am about to get this soap to use on my face, back, and chest: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/42/43/neem-tea-tree-body-hair-shampoo I have researched it and have high hopes that it will work. I am also going to get this to use in the mornings: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/42/46/adzuki-micrograin-facial-scrub By the way, your dermatologist can prescribe you pills that will greatly help your acne. My brother is on them and it has worked well for him. I hope this is helpful to you, I know what a demon acne is. :hugs

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Believe me...I feel you....You want to know the jist of natural remedies? If it is really serious, they won't work. I know. I have tried aloe, Garlic (which was highly rated), and a whole bunch of other stuff. Now I go with super expensive dapsone and adalpene...each is about 30 bucks for 300 mg (about 1.5-2 months), and that is WITH insurance....and it is the only thing that has positively helped me...and I have to apply it morning and night, every day.

If you go see a dermatologist, he'll probably start you off with things like benzoyl peroxide and sulfur...those sort of worked for me, but I had to take out the big guns to see any improvement.

If you really seriously want to go with natural remedies, then go with tea tree oil. It is a natural source of salycilic acid, a common acne drug that you find in most over the counter cleansers.

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Skin is the reflection of what is going on in our life. If you are stressed, you will break out. If you don't eat right you will break out. If your liver is taxed you will break out. If you are happy, eat right, reduce stress and take care of yourself your skin will reflect that.

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Zoldani said:
Skin is the reflection of what is going on in our life. If you are stressed, you will break out. If you don't eat right you will break out. If your liver is taxed you will break out. If you are happy, eat right, reduce stress and take care of yourself your skin will reflect that.
also a lot of it is genetics...

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
To a point, yes, but even they can be over come at times. Diet and keeping all the bodily filters healthy can do amazing things.

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. Me and both my two siblings got extensive acne. Considering, in school, and generally stress-wise, we were all different, I don't think it was much other than genetics. I know people who don't eat as healthy as I do, and are probably a lot more stressed than I am, and they don't have a blemish on their face.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MarylandFutureFarmGuy said:
I'd have to disagree. Me and both my two siblings got extensive acne. Considering, in school, and generally stress-wise, we were all different, I don't think it was much other than genetics. I know people who don't eat as healthy as I do, and are probably a lot more stressed than I am, and they don't have a blemish on their face.
I agree with you. Genetics play a big part. I know a guy who eats out all the time, greasy stuff like cheap pizza, and doesn't have acne at all. However, eating healthy and taking care of yourself can help reduce the problem to some degree. Subscribed pills from the dermatologist can also help.